Chapter 35: Who Died?

I approached Albus's office, dread filling me as I knocked on the door and it swung open, revealing Severus and Albus.

"Please, have a seat, Y/n," Albus said and I felt my heart drop to my stomach.

"Who died?"

"What?" Severus seemed confused as I set my jaw, refusing to cry.

"I've been through this enough times to know... it's always the same face. So, tell me... who died."

"Darling-."

"Who. Died?" I hissed.

"Me," Albus answered and I turned to him, confused.

"Don't fuck with me, Albus. Who died?"

"It's not a matter of who's already died... it's a matter of who's going to die."

"Albus..."

"The mission of Draco's..." Severus swallowed thickly as he struggled to explain.

"It's not happening," I hissed.

"Darling... we have no choice."

"We?" I scoffed. "What the hell do you have to do with this?"

Albus sighed, crossing his hands in front of him, one of which looked charred. "I've been cursed, Y/n... I was an old fool, tempted by this." He gestured to a ring on his desk.

"What the hell is that?" I asked, slowly approaching his desk. My hand instinctively reached out to touch the ring.

"Not exactly certain... but it appears to have once belonged to Voldemort. It's as if a part of him lives inside of it."

I jumped back, pulling my hand away as the words left his lips and the ring jumped at the proximity of my hand, even without having touched it.

"And you just keep that in your office?" I hissed.

"Until I can find out exactly what it is and a way to destroy it... yes."

"And that's what cursed your hand?"

He nodded. "Severus has been able to contain the curse to my hand for the time being but it will spread."

"How long?"

"A year," he replied, looking down at his hand once again.

"So, you want Draco to kill you before the curse does?"

"No, I want Severus to."

My eyes widened as he spoke. "You can't be serious."

"I am. The boy's soul is not yet so damaged... I will not have it ripped apart on my account."

"And his soul?" I hissed, looking at Severus.

A sad smile appeared on Albus's face as he spoke. "You are more alike than either of you know... you truly are made for each other."

"That doesn't answer my question, Albus," I hissed. "You'll tear apart his soul with no regard for what it will do to him!"

"Severus... you should tell her."

"Tell me what?" I hissed, turning to Severus.

"Bellatrix and Narcissa came to Spinner's End... Narcissa was concerned about Draco completing his task and... asked me to swear to keep Draco safe as he attempts to fulfill this task."

My brow furrowed as he continued.

"Bellatrix was unsatisfied simply with my word."

"Severus..." My voice was low in warning as I spoke. "No... don't say it. Don't you dare say it." A tear slipped down my cheek before I could wipe it away.

"I'm sorry, my darling," he whispered. "I had no choice."

I looked back and forth between him and Albus, my eyes widening. "No... Severus, please tell me you didn't do what I think you did."

He looked down. "If Draco fails to kill Albus... then I must do it."

"Or you die."

He nodded. "The Unbreakable Vow."

"You bastard," I muttered, glaring at Albus. "I take it you talked him into this."

"In doing this he will ensure Voldemort trusts him."

"I don't give a damn about Tom's trust! You're asking him to murder you! You're asking us to be okay with this! It's wrong, Albus, and you know it!"

"I'm afraid we have no other choice, Y/n... by the end of the year one of them will kill me... by the end of the year I will be dead."

I turned away from him, heading out of his office, ignoring the ring on his desk that seemed to call to me.