Chapter 5: The Escape

My mind was running with questions as I picked at my breakfast plate.

"Professor Y/l/n?" Severus murmured softly, looking from me to my plate. "You're not eating."

"Just not hungry," I replied. My stomach was twisting strangely and I couldn't quite identify what I was feeling, but something felt off. Severus was going to say something else but before he could the owls swooped in with the mail. Hermione's eyes widened as she read the headline, a small yelp leaving her lips. She searched the hall, her eyes landing on me, before handing the paper to Harry.

"Severus... what's happening?"

"I'm not sure, love." I could hear the uneasiness in his voice as Harry looked up at me. I looked around the Professor's table but no one seemed to know what was going on either and no one had a copy of the Daily Prophet, apart from Pomona, who was reading the front page intently. Harry was watching me carefully, as if trying to send a signal through his mind. I cautiously entered his mind, trying not to disturb him too much.

You need to see this, Aunt Y/n! Now!

I stood up from the table, trying not to cause too big of a scene as my heart began racing in my chest.

Meet me outside!

Harry, Ron, and Hermione quickly stood up, making their way out of the Great Hall as I followed.

"What's going on?" I asked as the doors closed behind me. Harry thrust the Daily Prophet into my hands.

"He's done it," Harry murmured. "He's building up his army."

I looked down, my brow furrowing as I began scanning the page. 10 black-and-white photographs stared back at me, nine wizards and one witch. Some of the faces I recognized instantly, whereas others I couldn't quite place. The one that immediately stood out sent a rush of emotion through me that I couldn't quite place. Bellatrix Lestrange. Her long, dark hair was wild in the photo, almost unrecognizable, but it was her. Aunty Bella. I continued scanning the page, a few recognizable names jumping out at me, though most recognizable being Antonin Dolohov as I'd met him during my time with the Malfoys, as well as Redolphus Lestrange, whom I'd known from Hogwarts. I looked up, finally noticing the headline. MASS BREAKOUT FROM AZKABAN. MINISTRY FEARS BLACK IS "RALLYING POINT" FOR OLD DEATH EATERS.

"They're pinning this on Sirius?" I hissed. The three children nodded as I continued reading.

The Ministry of Magic announced late last night that there has been a mass breakout from Azkaban. Speaking to reporters in his private office, Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic, confirmed that ten high-security prisoners escaped in the early hours of yesterday evening, and that he has already informed the Muggle Prime Minister of the dangerous nature of these individuals. "We find ourselves, most unfortunately, in the same position we were two and a half years ago when the murderer Sirius Black escaped," said Fudge last night. "Nor do we think the two breakouts are unrelated. An escape of this magnitude suggests outside help, and we must remember that Black, as the first person ever to break out of Azkaban, would be ideally placed to help others follow in his footsteps. We think it likely that these individuals, who include Black's cousin, Bellatrix Lestrange, have rallied around Black as their leader. We are, however, doing all we can to round up the criminals and beg the magical community to remain alert and cautious. On no account should any of these individuals be approached."

I looked up, my eyes wide as I finished reading.

"That's why he was so happy last night," Harry said softly. "That's why I was..."

"Head back inside, children... we'll figure out what to do later, just... for now, let's not give Umbridge another reason to give you detention."

Harry agreed, rubbing his hand as we entered the Great Hall once again. All eyes fell on us as I led them to their seats. "Keep your heads down," I whispered. "Stay out of trouble."

I made my way back to the head table, feeling Umbridge watching me the entire time, her beady eyes never leaving me.