Chapter 59: Seven Potters

Over the next few weeks I tried to settle into a routine by helping prepare for the wedding, ignoring the darkness looming over us that no one else seemed to notice. The next few weeks were filled with laughter and I tried to push down my worries as I joined in the celebration, but my worries only grew, especially as Harry's birthday drew nearer and just a few short days before that we would be moving him from the Dursley home. It was a good plan but something always seemed to go wrong where Harry was involved and I knew my father would be looking for any opportunity to kill him.

It was the night before Harry was to move and my mind was spinning with worry. I hadn't heard from Severus in weeks but I knew the Death Eaters weren't simply standing down. Something was coming.

"Y/n?" Alastor's voice pulled me from my thoughts.

"Hm?"

"Are you sure you're prepared for tomorrow?"

Tomorrow. The very day I was dreading.

"Absolutely. It's time we get him out of that place and back where he belongs."

Alastor nodded before continuing. "And you understand your role?"

"Essentially a human shield," I replied. "You don't want to pair me with a Harry because Tom will think that's the real one. I'm only there to put myself between the Death Eaters and the Order."

"When you put it like that-."

"There's no other way to put it," I interrupted. "It's the truth. I understand why I'm being allowed to join, Alastor. I understand my role. My father is less likely to harm someone if I'm in the way."

He nodded.

"We must do whatever's necessary to protect Harry."

He nodded once more and I left the room, heading up to my room to get some sleep before tomorrow.

***

As we arrived in Little Winging I could feel my nervousness growing. Remus placed a gentle hand on my shoulder as we knocked on the door. Harry opened the door, hugging Ron and Hermione before jumping into my arms.

"I'm glad you're here," he whispered.

"Alrigh' 'arry? Yeh look fit," Hagrid announced just as Alastor began pushing his way into the house. 

"Yeah, he's ruddy gorgeous. What say we get undercover before someone murders him?"

I rolled my eyes as we entered the house as Bill introduced himself to Harry officially as meeting in a hospital wing while he was unconscious didn't exactly count.

"All right, all right! You'll all have time for a cozy catch-up later! We've got to get the hell out of here and soon!" Moody yells as he drops a sack of clothes on the floor.

"Potter, you're underage, which means you've still got the trace on you."

"The trace?" Harry asked.

"You sneeze and the Ministry will know who wipes your nose," Alastor explained. "Point is, we have to use those means of transport the Trace can't detect: brooms, thestrals and the like. We'll go in pairs. That way if anyone's out there waiting for us -- and I reckon there will be -- they won't know which Harry Potter is the real one."

"The real one?" Harry asked, seeming alarmed.

"I believe you're familiar with this particular brew," Alastor said as he pulled a flask from his coat."

"No! Absolutely not!" Harry exclaimed.

"I told you he'd take it well," Hermione muttered.

"Harry, it will be fine."

"You don't know that, Aunt Y/n!"

"Hermione, as discussed," Alastor said. Hermione nodded and yanked a strand of hair from Harry's head before placing it into the flask.

"Blimey, Hermione," Harry muttered.

The potion bubbled as Harry turned to me. "I don't like this."

"I know, sweetheart... but it's the only way," I said as the potion began being passed around the room.

We were suddenly surrounded by several Harry's and they all began changing as Arthur stepped into the hallway, making sure no one was coming.

Remus approached me, gently tapping on my arm. I turned to him and he briefly titled his head, gesturing toward the other room. I nodded and followed him into the other room.

"You're feeling it, aren't you?" he asked me.

"What?"

"The shift... it feels the same as before they burned the Burrow... something's coming."

I nodded.

"We'll all need to be careful tonight."

I nodded.

"Y/n! Lupin! Let's go!" Alastor shouted.

I chuckled before turning to Remus. "Be safe tonight."

"You be safe," he replied. "It's you I'm worried about."