Chapter 15: Veritaserum

Neither of us talked about that night again and things moved on, though Severus was acting as if Harry didn't exist. Classes were growing particularly tense and there was nothing I could say to him without blowing our cover. It was far easier for my father to believe I simply needed space if Severus and I weren't together. If I were dating a Death Eater it would be much harder to deny becoming one myself. I knew my days were limited before I would have to return to my father but we were trying to delay it as long as possible.

The next few weeks the pranks had paused as students were preparing for exams. Finally Fred and George made a final grand exit and were gone from the school. I couldn't help but feel worried for them as they'd simply quit school but I was also happy for them, knowing they would succeed in life. Following their departure the students had amped up the pranks on Umbridge and she was growing angrier by the day but there was nothing she could do about it as she couldn't identify the culprits.

Harry was taking his examination today and as Minerva and I were preparing to visit Hagrid to discuss his progress with the giants we saw Umbridge and several ministry officials already on their way to his hut. We quickly ran toward them as Minerva began yelling at the ministry officials to leave Hagrid alone. A fight ensued as the ministry tried to take Hagrid and magic began flying. I began blocking several stunners as they began flying toward us but I couldn't stop all of them and I saw Minerva fall to the ground as Hagrid ran toward the gates and disappeared into the darkness.

"Minerva!" I called, crouching next to her.

"Pack your things, Miss Y/l/n!" Umbridge shrieked.

"Shut up, you old toad!" I hissed as I took Minerva's hand, feeling her wrist for a pulse. Relief flooded me when I felt a faint pulse in her wrist.

"Is she alright?" Cornelius asked, kneeling down. I could see him reaching for Minerva and I could feel myself growing angry. He did this!

"Don't touch her!" I hissed, gently lifting her into my arms. "Send for St. Mungo's!"

"Surely Madam Pomfrey could handle thi-."

"Send for St. Mungo's now!" I hissed, interrupting Cornelius's attempt to keep this quiet. I looked down at Minerva and tears filled my eyes as Cornelius ran off. "Mom," I whispered, squeezing her hand. "Please don't leave me here."

***

The next few days were rough. Minerva had been taken to St. Mungo's but she wasn't awake yet. Cornelius had told Umbridge to calm down and "see reason" when she'd attempted to fire me. I'd been with this school for years and the ministry wanted to avoid bad press, especially given that I'd threatened to go to the Daily Prophet and tell them exactly what happened here along with an exclusive interview from Y/n Y/l/n. That seemed to shut Umbridge up pretty quickly.

Severus handed me a stack of parchment, his hand grazing mine and I shivered at the contact, though I couldn't explain why. It wasn't until an image flashed in my mind that I realized why I was suddenly shaking with fear.

"Darling, what is it?" Severus asked me as Lucius's face flashed in my mind and he put a mask over his face.

"Do not fail me, Lucius. I do not think I can handle another failure with such grace." The hand in front of me lifted his wand, pressing into Lucius's neck.

"O-of course, my Lord... we shall not fail you."

A wild mess of hair caught my attention as a familiar laughter filled the room. It was slightly more maniacal but it was hers all the same.

"And you're certain of the vision, my Lord? You've given the boy enough reason to come?"

"Do you doubt me, Lucius?" my father hissed.