Chapter 54: The Hospital Wing

We slowly began to pick up the pieces after the fight and made our way to the hospital wing. I took the long way around, unable to see what I knew would be waiting at the bottom of the Astronomy Tower. Minerva has ordered everyone to the hospital wing so Harry and I made our way there. Remus had alerted Sirius to what had happened and he arrived just as Madam Pomfrey was discussing Bill's wounds. Greyback had bitten him but Bill would be okay as it wasn't a full moon. The wounds won't heal fully and there would be scars but he would live. That was the most important part.

"Dumbledore's dead," Ginny explained as Ron thought perhaps Dumbledore might know a way to heal the wounds.

"No!"

"How did he die?" Tonks asked. "How did it happen?"

"Snape killed him," Harry hissed and tears filled my eyes. I knew this was coming but it didn't make it any easier. "Y/n and I were there. We saw it."

Remus and Sirius turned to me, searching my eyes as Harry continued.

"Draco cornered Dumbledore...More Death Eaters arrived... and then Snape... Snape did it."

Minerva entered the hospital wing, her robes ripped and several scratches adorned her face. "Molly and Arthur are on their way. Harry, what happened? According to Hagrid you were with Professor Dumbledore when he... when it happened. He says Professor Snape was involved in some-."

"Snape killed Dumbledore," Harry hissed.

Minerva watched him for a moment, as if waiting for him to say he was mistaken. She swayed for a moment and I grabbed her arm as Madam Pomfrey conjured a chair and we gently helped her sit.

"Snape," Minerva whispered. "We all wondered... but he trusted... always... Snape... I can't believe it."

"Snape was a highly accomplished Occlumens," Lupin hissed. "We always knew that."

"But Dumbledore swore he was on our side!" Tonks explained. "I always thought Dumbledore must know something about Snape that we didn't..."

"He always hinted that he had an ironclad reason for trusting Snape," Minerva muttered. "I mean... with Snape's history... of course people were bound to wonder... but Dumbledore told me explicitly that Snape's repentance was absolutely genuine... wouldn't hear a word against him!"

"I'd love to know what Snape told him to convince him," Tonks muttered.

My heart was racing as I focused on keeping my emotions in check. The man I love had just murdered the closest thing I have... had... to a father and I imagine my loyalty will soon be called into question.

"I know," Harry muttered, pulling me from my thoughts. "Snape passed Voldemort the information that made Voldemort hunt down my mum and dad. Then Snape told Dumbledore he hadn't realized what he was doing. He was really sorry he'd done it... sorry that they were dead."

Remus and Sirius turned to Harry, confusion crossing their faces as Sirius spoke.

"And Dumbledore believed that? Dumbledore believed Snape was sorry James was dead? Snape hated James!"

"And he didn't think my mother was worth a damn either," Harry growled. "Because she was Muggle-born... Mudblood, he called her."

I could practically hear Severus in my head as I struggled not to say anything. Whatever you have to do, Y/n... they must trust you.

They began discussing all the ways in which they could've seen this coming before finally the dreaded moment arrived and Sirius turned to me.

"You've been awfully quiet over there, Y/n. Nothing to say about your boyfriend's betrayal?"

I turned to him, taking a breath as my nails dug into the skin of my palms to stop myself from crying.

Before I could say anything Minerva spoke up. "That's quite enough, Sirius. You will not go attacking Y/n as I'm sure she feels bad enough as it is." She squeezed my hand.

Just then Molly and Arthur entered the hospital wing, sobbing as they saw Bill's mangled face. There was a brief argument between Molly and Fluer before the two women burst into tears and hugged one another.

I could hear Remus and Tonks arguing as my mind grew foggy, the tears threatening to spill from my eyes.

"You see!" Tonks hissed, glaring at Remus. "She still wants to marry him, even though he's been bitten! She doesn't care!"

"It's different... Bill will not be a full werewolf. The cases are completely-"

"I don't care!" Tonks interrupted. "I've told you a million times..."

"And I've told you a million times," Remus hissed, looking at the floor. "That I'm too old for you, too poor... too dangerous."

"I've said all alone you're taking a ridiculous line on this, Remus," Mrs. Weasley added.

"I am not being ridiculous," Remus argued. "Tonks deserves somebody young and whole."

"But she wants you," Arthur interjected. "And after all, Remus, young and whole men do not necessarily remain so." He sadly pointed to his son.

"This is... not the moment to discuss it... Dumbledore's dead."

"Dumbledore would have been happier than anybody to think that there was a little more love in the world," Minerva replied and I turned to Remus.

"Knowing Albus he probably had a bet with someone about when you two were going to get together."

This sent laughter through the room and several mutters of agreement.

"Remus..."

He looked up at me.

"Don't deny yourself happiness because you're afraid."

He smiled softly and Hagrid entered the room, alerting us that Albus had been moved and the rest of the students were in their beds. Slughorn had been appointed head of Slytherin. The Ministry had been alerted and would be arriving shortly. That should've been a relief but fate has a nasty way of laughing in our faces.