CHAPTER 1

Aurora sat, resisting the urge to hug herself.

Her 'Selected' mentor, Andrea, sat beside her, trying to slowly teach her the basics of royal etiquette.

Andrea shook her mentee's arm, and Aurora flinched as her fingers gripped on a fresh bruise.

"I'm listening!" Aurora  said loudly, and watched as the people walking by them stare at her strangely.

She sat in the lounge of the King Maxom International Airport, her plain jeans and silk top a stark contrast to the richness around her. She sat very still - almost every movement caused her pain.

She was pretty sure one of her ribs were broken, having taken a very bad beating the previous day.

She shook her head, trying to disperse her thoughts. 

Her old life in Kent didn't matter anymore - she had a good future waiting for her.

With the Selection money she would receive, she could study more, become whatever she wished to be.

She was distracted from her thoughts when Andrea waved her hand in front of her eyes.

"I'm sorry - I swear, I know everything about those fancy cutlery and different kind of curtseying you told me about," Aurora said, finally giving her mentor her complete attention.

"Yeah, right," Andrea said, wringing her dark hands together, the multiple rings glittering in the light.

"I'll be fine, Andrea. You need to calm down. And trust me," she added after a moment of thought.

Andrea sighed. "You are a fast learner, Aurora, but that doesn't mean this is going to be any easier for you. There are thirty four other girls who have trained for this moment their whole lives - we have child prodigies and models and actors in this Selection. You have to stand out if you want Prince Eric's attention".

"Yeah, like I want it," Aurora mumbled, hoping her mentor wouldn't hear her.

"What?" Andrea asked sharply, evidently having heard Aurora.

"Nothing".

Andrea sighed again. "Aurora, I'm asking you this with love - why the hell did you even enter the Selection if you didn't want the prize you were fighting for?".

Aurora shook her head. "You wouldn't understand".

Andrea tapped the small device on her ear and said, "I can hear the other mentors grumbling about their wards - girls who plan on aggressively pursuing the prince, those who already have their entire wedding planned, and even a few who have thought about the names of the hypothetical children they'll have with the Prince. And then there's you".

Aurora laughed. "So you want me to be like them?".

"No! I want some god forsaken reason as to why you're here, or even the faintest idea as to how I can present you to the audience! You're going to be broadcasted live, you idiot!".

Andrea's words stung - for a woman who had met her just a few hours ago, she seemed to be quite concerned about Aurora.

"How you can present me?" Aurora asked, confused.

"Each girl will have an image throughout the Selection, one that should make them stand out, hopefully help them become the public and the Prince's favorite," Andrea explained.

"And I am-?".

"I was thinking more of a sultry, or a temptress-ish look for you. I mean look at that gorgeous black hair. And don't get me started with those eyes of yours," Andrea said, looking at Aurora's mud colored eyes dreamily.