CHAPTER 41

"What are we going to do about it now?" Eric asked, rubbing the back of his neck with worry.

"For now, nothing," Elora answered before Aurora could. "We focus on making your father better".

"And employing more security," Elena added.

Elora nodded at her.

"Lucian," she said. "I wish to make you an offer - will you take the post of the Royal Chief of Security?".

It was an old post - one that had almost been forgotten.

The duties that came under it had recently been added to the monarch's work load, but Elora needed someone to monitor every single thing going on in the palace.

She couldn't afford to miss anything anymore.

"But that'll be so much work!" Katherine complained.

"It'll be good training for him before he becomes King," Elena countered.

But Elora looked at her nephew and continued speaking, "You would have to set the guard schedules, have people to constantly monitor the security footages, be in charge of who enters and exits the palace, as well as take care as the royal family's safety".

Lucian didn't reply for a long time, and Elora was worried he would say no.

"It would be my honor, Queen Elora," he said, inclining his head, looking serious for once.

Elora knew him well - he was a lot like his mother.

Very capable and smart, but almost always underestimated due to the outward façade he maintained.

Elora hoped that the Illuminati would underestimate him too, and leave a trail of breadcrumbs they could follow.

"What about me then? Luke will never let me hear the end of it if he got a job before me," Eric joked.

"I was coming to that," Elora said, turning to face her son. "I want you to be in charge of talking to the monarchs of other kingdoms. And the other Nine. They need to be aware of what's going on, and God knows we need all the help we can get. You'll be managing press releases from all of our Advisors, be working on our public image, everything".

"Basically begin doing the job I want once the next Queen ascends the throne," Eric said, winking at his sister.

Elora nodded.

"I would be honored, My Queen," Eric said, switching his tone and expression to a more formal one. "I'll release a press report tomorrow that we have a new Royal Chief of Security".

"Is it necessary?" Adelaide asked.

"Very," Aurora answered. "It'll cause quite a stir - the Crown Prince of Italy taking a position at the Illean castle? It'll take some attention off the fact that the media is painting me as a murderer".

"So Luke is taking the position to make you look better?" Kate asked.

Elora could see her daughter look at her with hurt.

She swooped in before she could reply. 

"It's too late, children. You all must go to sleep. Dawn has already broken," she said, and Luke and Eric climbed into the bed with their sisters, while the girls headed out.

She saw Adelaide mutter something to Ella, to which she nodded.

Kate trailed behind them.

"I can't believe I was once doubtful of Adelaide Summers. She seems to be a great Lady-in-Waiting," Elena muttered, not wanting the sleeping children to wake up.