CHAPTER 32

"You did well," Elora quietly muttered into Aurora's ear.

"Thank you," she said.

The Queens had shifted their conversation into more serious ones, and Aurora was trying to digest the new knowledge as best she could.

She longed to go around and see what was going on, and meet her friends' parents, but she knew no way how to leave this group.

"So, Ella," Queen Kamlai began. "Elora was telling me that you wished to be a doctor?".

"Yes, Your Majesty," she said, beaming.

"What specialty do you wish to choose?" Queen Vienna asked, and looking at Aurora's wondering expression, she added, "My son's in his first year of medical school".

"Oh. Ideally, I want to be an OB-GYN and also specialize in neonatal surgery," she replied, telling her wish out for the first time.

"It will be quite a few years before you can practice medicine as a full fledged doctor," the Queen said thoughtfully. "And why are you interested in this particular specialty?".

"She delivered a baby in the middle of the palace corridors with no doctors or  nurses," Elena jumped in, and the other Queens stared at her.

"It wasn't exactly in the middle of the palace corridors. I took her into a room," Aurora mumbled, her face a bright shade of red.

Elora began calmly explaining the whole incident to all the other Queens, who were looking at Elena and Aurora as though they'd sprouted an extra head each.

"Well," Queen Mei said at last. "Your daughter definitely is interesting, Elora".

"Oh you have no idea how talented she is," Elora said proudly. "She paints better than anyone I've ever seen, including Edward, and I'm pretty sure she plays the violin a hundred times better than me".

Aurora resisted the urge to bury her head in her hands.

"You were the one who played at the Anniversary Ball, weren't you?" Queen Annika asked suddenly, tilting her head and looking deep into Aurora's eyes.

Aurora nodded, wondering when she could exit the conversation. She didn't feel very comfortable with this sort of extravagant praise.

"Excuse me, Your Majesties," Adelaide said, coming towards them, curtsying. "May I borrow the Princess please?".

"And you are?" one of the Queens asked.

"Lady Adelaide Summers," she said, her chin raised. "The Princess' Lady-in-Waiting".

"Oh, you're the movie star, right? My daughter adores you!" the Queen of Switzerland - Stella - said, speaking for the first time since Aurora had seen her.

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Adelaide said, bowing lowly.

"Would you be interested in doing some modelling for us?" another Queen asked.

"Queen Vienna of France is the Editor-in-chief of the Vogue," Elena explained.

So Queens were allowed to have other full time jobs as well.

"I would love too, Your Majesty," Adelaide said. 

"But she's in the Selection now, Vienna," Elora said. "And a strong competitor at that. Only after the results come can you steal her from us".

The Queens laughed.

"Of course, of course," Queen Vienna said.

"Aurora, you may leave now," Elena said, looking at her.