CHAPTER 29

The entire royal family - which Aurora was now apparently a part of - dined alone, with Kate and Adelaide, in a private room.

They were all conversing softly between themselves, when Elena suddenly asked Kate loudly, "Did you accept the proposal or not?".

Kate choked on her food, and Adelaide thumped at her back.

They were all eating a late brunch, since it was too late for breakfast, and too early for lunch.

"No," she said finally, after taking a sip of water.

"And why not?" Lucian demanded.

"You really want to know why?" Aurora asked him incredulously.

There were like, so many things wrong with that proposal.

"First off, it wasn't romantic -," Kate began.

"It was supposed to be!" Lucian protested.

But Kate continued like she hadn't heard him. "You practically proposed when my best friend was having a nervous breakdown! With a god forsaken stolen ring!".

"A very pretty god forsaken stolen ring," Elena muttered.

Kate glared at her. "Whose side are you on?".

Elena shut her mouth.

"And, AND, you didn't ask my mother, or your parents' permission. Queen Elena practically got to know you loved me through a damn video call!" Kate said, banging her fist on the table.

"But she-".

"Did you just think I'd say okay to become a Queen overnight? Did you even ask me if I wanted it?" she continued.

"You are part of Eric's Selected. Of course you wanted to be Queen!" Lucian pointed out.

"My chances of that was like one in thirty five!".

"Thirty four," Aurora had to correct.

"Yes, thirty four, whatever. Did you just think that just because you're a Prince, I'd just say yes? Lucian, I'm telling you this because you need to hear it really badly - I love you with all my heart, but you're simply incorrigible!" Kate said, pushing her chair, and walking out of the room.

"Should I go after her?" Adelaide asked worriedly.

"Give her some time," Aurora said. "We'll talk to her later".

"I just messed it up, didn't I?" Lucian asked, looking around at the table.

"Unfortunately, I think you just did, son," King Edward said sadly.

"But she said she loved me," Lucian said, brightening up. "She'll come around".

"Not if you act the same way," Aurora said. "You know she's a hopeless romantic. Propose to her in a way she can't refuse. And ask her mother first, for heaven's sake".

"I approve, by the way," Elena said.

"You do?" Lucian asked, looking very surprised.

"If she had agreed to take the ring then and there, of course not. I would have thought of her as a gold digger. But she seems good enough," Elena said shrugging. "But make it clear that we aren't expecting her to marry you like, immediately. You'll have a long engagement, and even after you get married, Vincenzo and I plan on ruling for as long as we can".

"Yeah you may want to tell her that. She's quite worried that she'll have to become Queen immediately," Adelaide said.

There was a short pause.