CHAPTER 53

"You're a vampire," Queen Vienna told Ella.

"I'm sorry what?" Ella asked.

"How on earth did you gather so much information so quickly?" she asked her.

"I've been researching for a while now," Ella said sheepishly.

"No wonder she doesn't sleep," Elena said. "Lo - you've got to tell her to start sleeping".

"I agree," Elizabeth said. "We can't have her collapse on us once she's  Queen".

"And she's currently injured," Johanna said. "She can't stay awake so long - I mean, look. It's five in the morning, and she's been awake for a few hours now. After being shot".

"Twice," Stella piped in.

"How come no one is debating about the bombshell I just dropped, and are discussing my health?" Ella asked, looking around frustratedly.

"Because we all care about you," Elora said.

"And we all think you need to start thinking about yourself a bit more," Adelaide said.

"You're going to start med school soon, Ella, and believe me, you're not going to have the time to sleep even if you want it," Vienna said.

"Speaking about sleep," Adelaide began, "I'm feeling too sleepy. May I excuse myself please?".

"Of course," Elora said immediately.

"I'll update you later Addy," Ella said, looking at her best friend.

"I'll be waiting," she said, nodding at her.

"I'll escort you," Eric said, standing up, and giving his betrothed a hand.

"Only escort. No entering the room. No hugs, and definitely no kisses," Elora said.

"We're not in the twentieth century, Mother," Eric protested.

"We'll be watching you," Elora said, pulling up the security footage of the Selected corridor.

"That's creepy," Lucian said, and Adelaide just smiled.

She was happy, Ella realized. 

That she'd gained a large, close knit family.

Eric and Adelaide began walking away with Elena calling after them, "Any misbehavior, and I'll have Estelle follow you around 24x7".

Ella smiled at the mention of her old maid, and with a start realized that it had been a long time since she'd talked to any of her maids.

Once they had gone out of view, Elora chuckled and closed the screen.

"You remember how we were when we were their age?" she asked.

"Oh yes," Vienna said, laughing, "Though we were a bit bold at that time".

Elena looked at Ella who was looking at them questioningly and said, "Though we were being watched by Mei, Johanna and Annika, we didn't really care".

"Because we knew they were all big softies even back then," Laura said, grinning, putting a hand around Johanna who swatted her away.

Ella shook her head and smiled.

"I think I'll leave you ladies to be. I'll start getting my chambers ready - spy espionage style," Lucian said. "Update me later as well, okay?".

Ella nodded at him.

Once he had gone, she asked, "Is it okay if we go back into my chambers? I'm feeling rather sore".

They nodded at her, and her aunt and mother slowly helped her up to her feet, while Elizabeth carefully picked the jammers up. Annika dismissed all the holographic screens floating, quietly talking to Mei about something.