CHAPTER 56

Oh my God.

Ella ran from Kate, grabbing a flute of champagne from the waiter, and walked to the steps through which she had entered the room and said, "May I have your attention please?".

The music stopped abruptly, and everyone stared at her, the Queens included.

"I would like to give a toast. To my best friend, Adelaide Summers and my brother, Eric Montgomery Schreave," she said, and the entire crowd cheered.

"Now, since this ball is dedicated to two people who are so special to me, it took me and my mother, Queen Elora to decide every small detail of this party. It took us a long time to agree on the gold theme you see now - we were actually planning on making the color code red," Ella said, emphasizing the two words, staring at her mother who immediately understood.

The other Queens did too, and began making their way to their right side, where a small secluded room, not known to many were there.

"Random memories come to my mind as I make this speech - for instance, Eric and Adelaide once sounded an Amber alert in the palace, because they couldn't find me. And I was just asleep in the painting room. Talk about an overprotective brother," she joked, and the crowd laughed.

She could see all the Queens stare at her with wide eyes.

"But that's enough ramblings for an evening. To the happy couple," she said, raising her glass.

"To the happy couple," the crowd echoed.

Ella forced one last smile and pushed through the crowd, towards the Lady's room, and nearly banged into a rushing Adelaide.

"Oh my god, what happened?" Adelaide asked.

"I lost my first kiss," Ella gasped before shaking her head as Adelaide began squealing, confusedly.

"No not that. Come on it," she said, pulling Adelaide in.

"What is it? What happened?" Elora asked as she entered the room.

"I thought the assassin was caught," Mei said.

"He was. It's not that. I know who the member of the Illuminati inside the palace is," she said.

"WHAT?" everyone asked.

Ella began pacing, and everything clicked in place.

Every piece of the puzzle came together.

"She kissed someone," Adelaide said, breaking the silence.

"WHAT?" Elora asked. "Oh my god. I think I'm having a heart attack".

"You owe me hundred dollars, Elena," Vienna said.

"Could you all please shut up?" Ella screamed.

She stopped in the middle, and took a deep breath.

She exhaled.

"Alright. You remember the whole thing with Eric almost being poisoned, and me having the drink meant for him and collapsing?" she asked.

"Vividly," Elena said. "How on earth did you manage to kiss-".

"And you remember how we thought someone would be ready to kidnap me on my way back to my chambers?".

"Yes," Elora said, "Although I need to know who you kissed-".

"Someone the guards trusted and knew was the one who tampered with their schedules the day dad was stabbed," Ella continued, ignoring her mother.

"And?" Mei asked.

"Someone kept misleading the guards the day when I was shot. And they trusted the person without question," she said.