CHAPTER 17

Adelaide and Kate had been announced previously, and had made their way down the marble stairs. Aurora, however was still waiting, and fidgeting nervously, playing the air violin.

"You'll be fine!" Andrea said for the nth time.

"No I'll not! I'm gonna trip and fall down the stairs. There are like, actual royalty out there, Andrea," she said, panicking.

"You're not a clumsy person. You'll be fine," Andrea soothed.

Aurora groaned.

"Lady Aurora Clarkson of Kent," she heard the herald announce.

"All the best!" Andrea said, squeezing her hand quickly.

Aurora took a deep breath, and stepped through the large wooden doors.

She moved towards her left, and walked down the stairs, her hand trailing down the marble railing.

Everyone gasped as the beheld her - Queen Elena stared at her deeply, and Eric winked at her slightly.

Aurora could even see royalty from different nations stare at her as she made her way down. The thousand people assembled in the ballroom were the richest of the rich, a conglomeration of the most wealthy men and women from across the globe. 

After what felt like eternity, she finally reached stable ground, and curtsied lowly.

To her surprise, many of the gathered people curtsied and bowed back.

Her eyes widened in surprise, and she looked around, searching for a familiar face - she couldn't find Kate and Adelaide, nor could she find any member of the royal family she could talk to.

The heard the orchestra play a tune, and she realized that they were all most likely dancing on the floor.

And she was floating around alone, awkwardly.

"A dance, my Lady?" she heard a voice ask her.

She turned to face a dark haired man, wearing a military jacket, with medals hanging from a pocket.

He was either a prince, or a high ranking official of a kingdom.

He surprisingly looked only as old as Aurora, or perhaps a year or two elder, yet he seemed to be quite accomplished.

Aurora smiled at him, and he led her to the floor.

"Do I need to be warned of anything? Smelly breath? Stamping toes? Anything?" he asked as he kept a hand lightly on her waist.

Aurora laughed as he twirled her.

"You sound like someone I know," she said.

The man grinned. "People say I take after my mother".

"No," Aurora said, widening her eyes.

"Yes," he said, winking at her. 

Aurora saw the very familiar blue eyes stare back at her. 

"Prince Lucian. It's a pleasure to meet you," she said, raising her chin.

"The pleasure is mine," he said. "If I didn't know the royal family of Illea so well, I would have assumed that you were a part of it".

"That was a good joke," Aurora said, laughing. "So, Prince Lucian. What brings you to Illea?".

"My Aunt and Uncle's Anniversary Ball," he replied nonchalantly, as he lifted her in the air.

"Hmm..." was all Aurora said, and as she turned, she could see Adelaide dancing with Eric.

The song finally ended, and Lucian bowed, kissing Aurora's hand lightly.