CHAPTER 38

Elora and Elena sat outside the ER, where the doctors had been operating on Edward for over seven hours. Apparently they had to do three different surgeries at the same time - repair Edward's stomach, open his brain up to see whether the spinal injuries had affected any of his essential functions, as well as repair the other organs near his stomach that had been injured too.

Aurora had disappeared off to god knows where, while the boys were with Elanor and Elodie, watching a movie. 

Which left just Elora and Elena alone.

"I can't believe that I was drafting trade agreements just this morning," Elena said, taking a bite of food from the tray the kitchens had sent on their request.

"It feels so..." Elora began, unable to describe what she felt.

"I know," Elena said, not needing words to understand her.

"I'm really worried, Elena," she said. "From what the doctors are saying, it's like, the best case scenario he's fully paralyzed".

"I know," Elena said. "I understand. But you know Edward. He's strong. He's a fighter. He'll be fine".

"It's not only him I'm worried about - it's the entire family. He's the glue that sticks us together. He knows how to diffuse tension, he knows how to make people laugh. With him gone...".

"He's not gone," Elena said sharply. "He's injured, and it's not like he's dying. Don't lose hope, Elora. You can't".

Elora sighed.

"I was just starting to feel happy, you know? Everything was finally coming together. Lucian's engagement, Ella coming back, everything," she said. "I just can't help but wonder if I'm just not destined for happiness".

"Don't speak like that. You deserve all the happiness in the world. And you'll get it," Elena said fiercely. "And you needn't worry. Ella is there. She's holding everyone together. She's the best of you and Edward combined".

"True," Elora said, smiling at the mention of her daughter. "She knows exactly what to say to make me function".

"To be honest, I thought I was hearing Mom speak as I heard her shout at you in the morning," Elena said, grinning.

"Good Lord, yes! If only she were here, or if we'd found Ella a few years earlier, she would've been so happy," Elora said, smiling a bit sadly now, as she thought of her mother.

"And you can't forget that for the first time, Ella acknowledged you as her mother out aloud," Elena said.

"Yeah, but she still hasn't addressed me as such," she said.

"Baby steps, Lo. Baby steps," Elena said.

"Anyways," Elora said, shaking her head and changing the topic. "How are things going with Katherine?".

"I honestly don't know," Elora admitted.

"Is anything wrong?".

"I don't know. I always thought Lucian's bride would be the daughter I never had, but... To be honest, I think I expected someone more like Aurora," Elena said.

"You need to accept her for who she is, Elena," she said quietly.

"I know! I know that. Kate seemed so much more different when I first met her - I was quite fond of her, but she seems to have changed a lot suddenly," Elena said despairingly. "Especially after we found Ella".

"Do you think she's jealous of her?" Elora asked sharply, suddenly hating Katherine with all her heart.

"I can't make out much of it. You remember that day months ago when Aurora dressed in the pink dress? For breakfast?" Elena asked, and her sister nodded. "I saw her face when we all praised her. It scared me, Lo. And I've been talking to Adelaide - she says the same thing too. Ever since Aurora began becoming more popular in the palace, Katherine has been acting different".