CHAPTER 31

"You're going to be great," Adelaide said, rubbing circles on Aurora's back.

"I need to walk down a staircase. In a gown. A white gown, which as Queen Elena so nicely pointed out, is highly susceptible to being stained," Aurora replied, playing the air violin.

The rest of the royal family had been announced about half an hour ago, and had given her their final encouragement before trooping down together.

Apparently she couldn't go out with them, because her entrance had to be dramatic.

"I look fine, right?" she asked Adelaide anxiously.

"You look stunning," she assured.

"You're one to talk," Aurora said, eyeing Adelaide's elegant green, with a plunging neckline - daring, yet not one that could be considered inappropriate.

She looked dangerously beautiful, and the emerald necklace she wore brought out the green of her eyes.

Andrea, who was standing nearby, opened up a holographic mirror, and made Aurora stand in front of it.

"You look great," she said.

Aurora looked at herself. 

Her long hair had been done in a bun, with a small plait wrapped around it. Her signature style - a few curled tendrils framed her face. A small diamond tiara, which was once apparently her great grandmother's was nestled on her hair. 

On her neck glistened the locket Eric had gifted her, and an elegant diamond bracelet was clasped on her hand above her lace, white gloves.

And her makeup...

Well, it had been done skillfully, such that the slight pink of the blush seemed natural, as did the eyeliner and kajal.

"You're right," Aurora said, sighing. "I look fine".

"And you'll be fine," Andrea added. "Just remember to-".

"Never curtsy to any of the nobles," she chanted.

"Right," Andrea said. "You are higher than them in terms of rank and birth. Curtsy to the Queens if you wish, but always remain respectful towards them".

Aurora nodded.

"Did you see Kate, by any chance?" Aurora asked Adelaide.

She had been so busy with the ball preparations, that Andrea practically had to drag her back to her room, just a few hours before to make sure she dressed up.

"Yeah," Adelaide replied. "I saw her struggle with that ridiculously puffy skirt of her as she walked down the stairs to the ballroom".

"It's not that puffy," Aurora said, defending her friend. "And she looked quite nice in it during the fitting".

"I'm not saying it didn't look nice. I'm saying that if you had worn it, you would have toppled before you could have crossed a single step," Adelaide said.

"She's still moping, isn't she?" Aurora asked.

"Yup," Adelaide said. "She thinks she and Luke are officially over".

"Boy, is she going to get a shock tonight," Aurora said, laughing.

Adelaide grinned at her, looking very happy.

Eric had taken her advice, and had a long heart-to-heart conversation with Adelaide. 

Adelaide had been much happier after that, and practically pranced around the palace till Kate had voiced out everyone's thoughts and told her to stop.