CHAPTER 2

"You're different from everyone I've ever met," Kate announced, and Aurora dragged her eyes away from the window where she saw buildings pass below her.

They had boarded the plane a few hours ago, with their mentors and other girls.

"How so?" Aurora asked curiously, her eyes trailing to Adelaide who had Headphones wrapped around her head, seemingly listening to music.

She looked calm, happy even, while her Mentor looked overjoyed for the silence.

It had seemed that even Mentors could not tolerate TV stars' rants and bragging for more than an hour.

"You're quiet, you don't speak unless spoken too. But you aren't shy," Kate said, answering her question.

"Quiet people don't always have to be shy," Aurora said, laughing.

"But they most often are," Julia pointed out.

Julia and Andrea sat across her and Katherine, quietly conversing with each other.

"You seem to want to avoid conflict, but you have quite the spirit," Kate continued.

"And you aren't a complete prissy either, despite dressing like a nun," Andrea added.

"Hey!" Aurora protested, trying to curb her unease. 

Had they figured out her secret?

"Don't gang up on me!" she said, forcing a laugh. "And I do not dress like a nun!".

"Really?" Kate said, eyeing her outfit.

Aurora's skin was completely covered - a full sleeve black turtle neck shirt with dark jeans.

If anything, it made her face seem paler than it was, her eyes more luminous than they actually were.

"Have you ever seen a nun dress like me?" Aurora asked.

Kate shrugged, and smiled at her. "Hopefully you wear shorter skirts and dresses once the competition begins".

She definitely would not.

Aurora noticed their mentors exchanging glances.

"What is it?" she asked them.

Andrea massaged her head before answering her. "So we've been talking to the other mentors".

"And?" Kate prompted.

"And they're all saying that their wards are the same - stuck up or super quiet or super... clingy," Julia said, careful to use polite words.

"We've said the same things about the two of you as well," Andrea continued. 

"Huh?".

"Because the competition isn't only between you girls, but it's between us, mentors as well," Julia said.

It was now Kate and Aurora's turn to glance at each other. 

"Then why are you two talking to each other?".

"We've known each other since we were kids," Julia said. "And also - we've been saying that you two are quite boring as well. We need any advantage we get. The other mentors will be doing the same as well, but it's better if the other girls don't know much about each other".

"So everything we know about the other competitors is most likely false?" Aurora questioned, eyeing the other three mentors  who sat far away from them.

"Yes," Andrea said. "Girls, you need to know that every rule of this competition will be flouted either directly or indirectly. Selections of the earlier years were much better than this. You two need to be prepared".

"And?" Kate prodded.

"The best way to do that is to be allies," Julia answered.

"WHAT?".

"Allies," Julia repeated, eyeing the younger girls as though they had sprouted two extra heads each. 

"Jules and I had always planned that our wards must be allies," Andrea said, before being interrupted by Kate.

"It's going to be easy for you two - especially  since Aurora has no interest in the Prince, while you, Kate are just like any other competitor," Julia said.

"Hold on. Wait. You don't want to marry the prince?" Kate asked Aurora, her green eyes wide.

"Not really. No. You were saying?" Aurora asked, turning to face the mentors again.

"As allies, you need to have each other's back at all times. The two of you have to be the perfect team, always helping each other in public, as well as private. You must be each other's confidantes, must always defend each other, must be open to constructive criticism given by the other," Andrea said carefully.

"First of all, no one uses the word confidante anymore. And secondly, why are you telling us all this now?  Can't you tell us that once we reach the palace?" Kate asked.

"Because as soon as you reach the palace, every movement of yours will be recorded. Every action will be criticized. You will be judged throughout the duration of your stay at the palace. You can't really talk freely, not without the conversations being heard by the King and Queen's most trusted servants. Any talk of treason or sabotage will lead to your elimination," Julia said.

"Even in our bedrooms?" Aurora asked, her voice laced with horror.

If they have video cameras in her room, they'll surely see her bruises and injuries, they'll surely know something was wrong in her upbringing.

"Only audio recorders, not cameras," Andrea assured her, and she let out a sigh of relief.

"And please don't attempt to find the recorders - you'll only be wasting your time," Julia said.

Kate and Aurora nodded.

"Everything that happens as soon as you step out of the plane is a test. Nothing is accidental. Keep that in mind," Julia said, looking at them intently, as though willing them to read between the lines.

"Now coming to the most important part - I'm sure both of you know the basic etiquette," Andrea began, waiting till they nodded. "But you need to know a few things on how things will be in the palace. We will not have our wards act like a blithering bunch of bumbling baboons".

Kate frowned. "Did you just quote-".

Andrea continued like she hadn't heard her. "Julia and I are not your servants - you have three each. We will simply be in charge of what you wear, your public image, your photoshoots, your schedule and your dates".

"Dates?" Kate squealed, while Aurora looked at her in amusement.

She found it funny that the usually bold and sarcastic friend of hers blushed at the mention of a date.

"Yes, date," Julia said fondly.

"So summing up, Kate and I need to be best friends, and always help each other. And shouldn't voice out evil thoughts," Aurora said.

"Or even have evil thoughts," Kate added.

Their mentors looked at them in satisfaction and said together, "Exactly".