CHAPTER 22

Don't. Touch. Me.

Elora stumbled behind, falling on her son who stood behind her.

Don't. Touch. Me.

Elora had never felt so disgusted with herself, had never felt so dirty.

She had stared into Aurora's eyes, watching as shock, realization and hatred flashed in them.

She had stared, hoping that Aurora would realize that she cared about her, that she was the same person, both as the maid, as well as the Queen.

And then she remembered what Aurora had once told her - she hated being lied to.

And when the girl had spoken those words, that was when Elora lost the last shred of hope she held.

She stared at the doorway through with Aurora had passed, long after she was out of sight.

She heard Elena relay instructions to the children to find and stay with Aurora, heard her disperse the other Selected.

"Come on, Lo. Let's go," her sister murmured, gently steering her away.

"It was as though... As though my touch burned her," Elora said quietly once they reached an empty room, staring into space  blankly.

Elena didn't say anything.

Elora burst into tears, sobbing uncontrollably, leaning onto her sister's shoulder.

She couldn't bear it.

Couldn't bear the tone with which Aurora had spoken to her.

It shouldn't bother her. In fact, she should have Aurora punished for speaking to her so harshly.

She should have worn gloves that morning, she always did to make sure Aurora didn't recognize her.

But she didn't expect her to come dine with them that morning.

And she didn't expect to feel that sharp jab of pain as she saw Aurora fall to the ground crying out as she felt her head ache.

"It's alright. It will be alright. Hush... It's okay," Elena murmured into her hair, rubbing soothing circles  on her back.

Elora's chest heaved, no new tears flowing out of her eyes.

She took a rattling breath, trying to control the dry sobs, wheezing as she did so.

Elena leaned, pulling a jug of water from a nearby table, and helped Elora drink some.

Once she had calmed down, she said, "She hates me. She just hates me".

This time, Elena didn't bother denying it.

"You feel what I do, right," Elora said, looking at her sister almost desperately. 

"I do," Elena said softly. "I do, Lo. I really do".

"I can't help but wonder if there's some connection between us. Maybe a bond from our previous lives, maybe a bond forged in this life meant to be permanent. I can't, Lena. I can't," Elora said, new tears threatening to fall down her eyes.

"Ella. It's because Aurora  would be the same age as her. That's why she is affecting you so much. Affecting all of us so much," Elena said, sounding as though she was trying to convince herself.

"Ella," she said, the name sounding foreign on her tongue. She had whispered the name in her mind millions of times, but had never had the courage to say it out loud. "I love her so much. I don't know anything about her - I don't even know if she's alive. But she's the reason I am not so close to Eric. The reason why the twins don't get my undivided attention. They must all hate her so much, so much that they'd probably hate it if ever she was found".