CHAPTER 5

"You'll be fine!" Kate said, staring at the bright stage from the side. "There's no reason to worry - look at how carefree I am!".

Aurora stared at Kate's fist which clutched her yellow dress tightly.

"Okay, I see your point," she said, succeeding in making Aurora laugh.

"I'm not like you Kate! I can't joke my way through things," Aurora said, watching another girl from Kent talk to Grigori.

"Then don't joke your way through. Be calm, and speak from your heart," Adelaide said from behind them.

They whirled behind, and Aurora asked, "How do you just sneak up on people like that?".

"And more importantly, were you just nice to her?" Kate asked. "You surprise me, Summers".

Adelaide shrugged eloquently. "I've done my fair share of interviews. Most of the interviewers are a lot like Grigori".

"Thank you," Aurora said.

Adelaide nodded at her, and walked away to her mentor.

"Pinch me," Kate said. "I need to make sure I'm not dreaming".

Aurora giggled.

"And now, please welcome, Lady Katherine Harrison from Kent!" Grigori announced.

Aurora squeezed her friend's hand. Kate walked up to the stage, her chin raised, a polite smile on her face.

Aurora zoned off as soon as Kate took her seat, unable to ignore the butterflies that flew in her stomach.

This was her first time speaking in public. 

Even in school, she wasn't good at giving speeches.

Before she knew it Kate descended, and she heard Grigori's voice say, "And presenting to you now, Lady Aurora Clarkson from Kent".

Aurora took a staggering breath, and walked on the stage, her white flats barely making a sound against the shining wooden floor.

She curtseyed to the royals, and shook Grigori's hand. "It's wonderful to meet you, Your Majesties, Your Highness. Grigori".

"Always in that order," Grigori joked.

Aurora laughed, feeling disconnected from her body as she heard the audience laugh along with her.

"No offense meant, Grigori," she said, not daring to look at the royals who were scrutinizing.

"None taken, Lady Aurora," he said.

"So, Lady Aurora," the Prince began. "Why did you choose to apply for the Selection?".

"I could ask you a similar question, Prince. Why did you choose me out of the millions of girls who had applied?" she asked, feeling very daring.

The Prince did not look offended - he waved his hand, and a holographic screen opened up with her application details. 

He pointed to her picture, a photo captured when she was mid laugh.

Aurora smiled, recalling how it had been taken. "One of my friends was making me laugh from behind the camera".

"I thought that wasn't allowed," the Prince said, scrunching his pale eyebrows.

"No, not like that. The picture was taken in the City Hall, as you must know. It was a Friday - food is usually distributed to the homeless then. One of them, a small boy named Aiden is an... ah, acquaintance. He wriggled past the guards to see me, and made me laugh with his antics," Aurora replied.