CHAPTER 8

Aurora  woke up to the alarm at around eight in the morning, surprised to see no one in her quarters or Kate's. A hologram opened out of nowhere, informing her that Kate had gone out for a run and would change her clothes in the Lady's Room later on.

It had been two weeks since they had arrived at the Palace. The Prince had eliminated ten girls already, leaving twenty five fiercely competitive girls behind.

Well, twenty four.

Aurora couldn't care less.

The longer she was here, the more money she got.

More money to pay for her higher education that would ultimately lead to her freedom.

The days had passed eventfully - they had daily lessons with their mentors, as well as group classes with a stern woman named Alicia  Bennett. They had ballroom dancing classes as well - pairing up with butlers and guards who selflessly sacrificed having working feet as the girls stamped and tripped over them.

Prince Eric had taken many of them, including Kate on a date. Kate had looked dreamy for about a day, before returning back to her sarcastic self.

Aurora was sure she'd be asked out soon, and she wanted to make it clear that she had absolutely no romantic interest in the Prince.

She ate with the royal family everyday - so often that a seat had been allotted for her. It was optional, of course, but she enjoyed dining with them, and really needed to get out of her room for something other than her lessons.

Aurora liked to think that the Queen was warming up to her.

Perhaps that was just her imagination.

Kate and she were becoming the best of friends - they stood for each other through thick and thin, helping each other when they blanched in classes, cooking together, and even practicing their instruments together.

Aurora yawned and rummaged through her closet and finally pulled out an elegant full sleeve turquoise top and black pants. 

Her bruises were still visible, and she wasn't very comfortable wearing short sleeved dresses either.

She took a bath, and as she stepped out of the bathroom, she saw that she had a new video message. She touched the virtual screen, and her eyes widened as she saw the message.

Beth and Eliza, along with a whole bunch of other maids had all fallen ill overnight.

They truly looked sick - with runny noses, and red eyes. They assured her that they weren't contagious, but they didn't want to risk it either.

Aurora pushed the message away, and searched for the castle blueprint to find the way to the servants' quarters.

She looked at the watch on her wrist, and saw that she barely had thirty minutes to reach the Queen's solar, as was required that day.

She sighed and made a decision - her maids' wellbeing was more important to her than a small tea party at the Queen's solar.

She ran towards the kitchens, and saw that there was an empty stove and some space for her to cook. Familiar with the commodities after a few trips, she took a large pot and some vegetable broth and proceeded to making some chicken broth.

"Isn't that a bit much for one person, Miss?" the head cook asked.

Aurora laughed. "Oh it isn't for me, Jones. I heard that the maids were all ill. I'm making it for them".

"But aren't you supposed to be in the Queen's solar?" the cook asked.

"How do you know that?" Aurora asked.