Chapter 10 (dear sister)

>Tara's POV<

I decided I'd spend some time with Sam today. It was a cool day out, so I wore some jeans and a long sleeved black top with my hair down and wavy.

Sam had driven us out to go get some lunch, and we had spent the majority of the day at the park before it started getting late, and we headed to russos for dinner together.

I ordered some pasta, and Sam did the same as we waited for our food, we began to talk about any and everything.

"Therapy still going ok?" Sam asked.

"Yes. Every time I go, it's slightly different. It doesn't feel repetitive the way I imagined." I explained.

"Everyone has their own outlook on therapy. People who have been through traumatic things the way we have definitely need it." Sam said.

"You've been through a lot more than me." I said.

"Tara, are you forgetting the brutal attack on you in Woodsboro??" Sam questioned.

"I mean emotionally. My physical wounds heal, and the trauma healing follows." I replied.

"Oh."

"But your emotional trauma didn't just start. It stemmed from you being a kid." I said.

"You noticed?" Sam asked.

"I was 8, not stupid." I replied.

She laughed a little before sighing to herself.

"What happened, Sam? What made you wanna leave?" I asked.

"You know what happened. Billy and-"

"No, I mean, what happened, Sam? You've known about Billy since you were 13. I'm sure that wasn't the only thing." I said.

"I used to get in a lot of trouble, hence why the sheriff didn't like me." Sam said.

I just nodded and listened.

"And you know mom never forgave me for dad leaving... I hated her for it. I spent as much time out of the house as I could. I hung out with good and bad people. I did a lot of drugs. I was drinking. I was doing anything to clear my head." Sam explained.

"God, Sam, I'm so sorry."

"You were a kid."

"You were too." I said, placing my hand on hers.

She gave me a soft smile.

"Coming home and dealing with mom...the arguments. The shame. The blaming. When I was high, it was like the world, and my head was silent for once." She continued.

"I don't remember the arguments." I muttered.

"You were either asleep, with friends, or at school." Sam said.

"Oh, that explains it." I replied.

"Mom found out what I was doing. It didn't stop me, but it made our relationship worse. I didn't care. She'd already neglected me. It really pissed me off that she blamed all her mistakes on me. I couldn't take it anymore. I moved out at 18. Did all the crazy shit until I couldn't, and decided to get my life together." She finished.

"I think I was just upset because when you left, it felt like I had nobody." I said.

"I'm sorry, Tara." She teared up.

"It's like being an orphan, but it makes me angry because both of my parents' hearts still beat. Yet they're still not here. I may have cut mom off, but it feels like she cut me off first." I said.

"That's why we have each other. My dad failed me before I was born. Your dad failed you over a woman. Our mom failed us because of her secrets. But in the end, none of it tore us apart. I think we should take pride in that." Sam said.

"I agree. Thank you for being a sister and a literal mom to me when the second part wasn't even your job." I said as I gave her a soft expression.

"siempre cariño, why do you think I call you mija?" She smirked.

She wrapped her arm around me as the waitress placed our food on the table.

"Is that wine?" I asked.

"Yes. Ordered two." Sam said, handing me a glass.

"I'm under age." I joked.

She rolled her eyes playfully, "Oh now you are?"

"Let's do a toast." I suggested smiling.

"To a new NEW beginning." Sam said, raising her glass.

"And healing our hearts." I added.

We clinked glasses and took a sip.

"So you and Danny." I said, shoving pasta in my mouth.

"What are you about to start?" Sam blushed.

"Nothing, you two are just perfect for each other. Tough guy, tough girl, and he has muscles like you." I said poking her arm.

She laughed sheepishly, "He's too good to me. I didn't trust it before we found out who was hunting us. I realize now that if something had happened to him, I'd regret that."

"I think those fuckheads knew better than to face him." I said.

"Maybe." Sam said.

"He came through, though. Marry that man and be together forever." I smiled.

"I plan on it. How are you and Amber?" Sam said.

"I feel like our connection grows more every day. I hope it continues." I said.

"It's crazy to think once upon a time she didn't like me." Sam laughed.

"At least she got over it." I smiled.

"She's a good person, and always looking out for you. Which is why I love her for you." Sam said.

"Really?"

"Really." She replied.

We continued conversation. Talking about the past. The present. The future. Or our summer plans.

This day was a good idea. I think I definitely needed this day with my sister more than I realized.