Chapter 25: beach day

>Amber's POV<

We finally made it to the beach and set up our things. It was a nice day out. Not too hot, not too windy, and the part of the beach we were on didn't have people near.

I already had my wet suit on. I'd been dying to hit the waves since we left California to move to NY.

"Sam, have you ever surfed before?" Chad asked with his arm around Liv.

"Never tried. I can swim, though." Sam said.

"Come take surf lessons." Mindy smiled. "I'm already teaching Anika."

"So you're a surf instructor now?" I replied, smirking.

"YUP, all of you owe me donuts who take my classes." Mindy said.

"Deal." Anika replied.

"You should try it Sam, it's fun." Tara came out with her wet suit on and, her board.

"Alright, I'll give it a try." Sam said.

•••

>Tara's POV<

I was so excited to surf again. They have beaches in New York, just not in the city, obviously, but we were always doing classes and didn't have the time to drive out.

Now we can vacation AND surf for once.

Me, Amber, Chad, and Liv were already in the water heading towards the waves.

Danny used to be a lifeguard, and that's exactly what he's been doing, watching us and making sure we're ok.

Ever since what happened, he's really grown on me and really just became close family. A lot has changed, for the better.

I ride the waves thinking about everything. Surfing always allowed me to think about deep shit without getting emotional.

I was focused on the waves and the board and what I was doing while also diving into memories at the same time.

It's been an ugly road, these past few years. I hope at least some beauty lies ahead. I hope this is the start.

•••

>Liv's POV<

"Woahhh, that's a big one!" I point at the upcoming wave.

Amber rides it with ease. She's always been the best at surfing. I look over and see Chad get smashed by a wave flipping off his surf board.

"Is he alright!?" Amber laughs drifting over to him.

He pops out of the water and grabs his board with an irritated look, but he was also fighting a laugh.

"What was that, Chad?" Tara teased.

"I was caught off guard." He said, getting back on his board.

Amber just cackled loudly and went back to surfing.

•••

>Amber's POV<

Danny was grilling at the shore while watching us and ushered us over to eat.

We dried off the best we could and got our food.

"This is the best burger I've ever had." Tara tilted her head, looking at it.

"Getting emotional?" Mindy teased laughing.

Tara nodded.

"You're silly." I laugh eating my food.

We stood out of the water for about an hour after we ate.

We played Frisbee for a while and even tag.

Mindy took Sam and Anika out to surf, and we joined them until the waves began to calm down.

Me and Liv sat on our boards in the ocean, looking out into the distance where the moon was.

"Deja vu." Liv said.

"Yeah, yeah, definitely." I replied.

"For sure, it reminds me of our beach days back in Woodsboro." Liv said.

"And our summer vacation before moving in for college." I said.

"We really thought we got away." Liv said.

"You'd think so." I replied.

"So after college, you staying in New York? It's something I've thought of but never brought up. I don't know if some of us wanna go our own way, and from my point of view right now, I can't imagine not being together." Liv continued.

"I honestly wanna move to Long Island in New York. It's a lot closer to the beaches and calmer over there. I really wanna stay together, though." I say.

"Maybe it's a discussion we should have when we get back." Liv said, swinging her feet in the water.

"Yeah."

"You think it's gonna happen again?" Liv asks suddenly.

"I don't know, but I hope we have the luck that we've had these past two times." I reply.

We don't say much after that. I guess just being in each other's presence was enough for the time being.

Tara swam over.

"Whatcha guys talkin' about?" She asks.

"Nothing, really." I say. Not a complete lie, Liv and I stopped talking 5 minutes ago. Plus, I don't wanna trigger Tara with my paranoia.

"This is a really pretty beach." Tara says, getting on my board and hugging me.

I wrap my arms around her protectively.

"Honestly, I wish we could do this for the rest of the year." Liv says.

"Beach Christmas?" I smile.

"I somehow think we could pull that off." Liv nodded.

"Sand-ta." Tara said.

"Oh God." I role my eyes playfully.

"Now that's creative." Liv said.

"You're both corny." I laugh.

"Kill-joy." Tara mumbles.

I pinch her butt.

"Hey!" She sits up, looking at me.

"That was a crab." I say.

"Does the crab have dark hair?" Tara asks sarcastically.

Liv and I laugh as we all head to shore. We changed into shirts and shorts and joined the others.

"Been waiting on you, knuckheads. we have a fire going." Mindy says.

"And Marshmallows." Sam added.

"We can make smoresss." Anika said, singing.

"I love smores." Tara danced, sitting down by the fire.

We told stories as we made smores and shared a few laughs.

"Does anybody actually know the campfire song?" Chad asks.

"Let's gather around the campfire
And sing our campfire song
Our C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E S-O-N-G song." Tara sang.

"I'm pretty sure that's spongebob." I reply, laughing.

"And if you don't think that we can sing it faster then you're wrong
But it'll help if you just sing alonggg." Tara continued singing with a big smile.

"Bum Bum Bum." Liv sings in Patrick's voice causing everyone to laugh.

"C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E S-O-N-G song
C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E S-O-N-G song!" Chad sang.

"And if you dont think that we can sing it faster then you're wrong
But it'll help if you just sing along." Mindy joined.

"Sing it Amber." Tara said as everyone made a beat.

"C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E S-O-N-G song
Patrick!" I pointed at Anika.

"Song! C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E SONGGG!" Anika said with her hands in the air.

Everyone clapped and we sang more songs while eating under the moon.