Chaper 22 (airplane)

>Amber's POV<

It had been a while since we made vacation plans, and now the hard part was going to be acting on it.

We were finishing up some last-minute packing when Tara put her smaller bag on the bed with a worried look.

"Do you think this carry-on is too big?" She said with a pouty face.

"Let's see what you got in there." I said.

"Just a few things." She said nervously.

"My carry-on is relatively small. Let me take some of this." I said.

"It was too much?" She asked.

"A bit too hefty, little one." I replied.

"Thank you for taking some of it then."

Someone knocked at our door, and Tara went to go answer. It was Sam.

"Hey, remember the airport has a security check, so please don't forget your driver's licenses or state ID either one." Sam explained.

"Trust me, I'm on that, I have it in my carry-on." I said.

"Social security cards, too?" Sam asked.

"Yes, ma'am." I saluted.

"Great, cuz we're leaving in ten." She said.

"That's a bit early." Tara replied.

"We're tryna eat before we get on the plane because when we get there, we need to go through security and make our way to boarding." Sam explained.

"What are we gonna eat?" Tara said, zipping her big suitcase up.

"We're stopping at shipleys donut place." Sam said.

"What a healthy breakfast." Tara replied sarcastically.

"It's just something quick. We'll really eat when we get there." Sam said with a slight smile before closing the door.

"You got everything you need?" I asked.

"Quadruple checking right now." She said, walking around the room.

After about ten more minutes, everyone started making their way to the car with their bags. After we finally got everything in, we drove off to the donut place to get our breakfast.

"How much time do we have?" Sam said.

"Enough time, don't stress." Danny replied.

The rest of us were in the back, stuffing our faces with donuts before we made it to the airport.

I don't know if I've ever mentioned how much I REALLY hate airports. It's terrifying going through it by yourself. It's hectic going through it with an entire family.

After the bags and security check, we had 25 minutes to make it to where we board the plane.

Once we made it there, we sat in the waiting area for at least 15 more minutes.

"When were we boarding again?" I asked.

"9:30 AM." Mindy said.

"They have so much good food here." Tara whined.

"We're gonna eat better food in a few hours. Airport food is super expensive here, though." I explained touching her hair.

"I smell chicken." She frowned.

"We'll get chicken today, I promise." Sam replied.

"We need to get on and off this plane before Tara raids the snack bags." Chad said.

"Har har." Tara replied.

After 5 more minutes, they called us, and we got to the front of the line, making sure we all got seats together.

We walked through this slanted tunnel that leads into the plane before walking inside.

"Did I forget to mention I hate flying?" Tara said, holding my hand.

"We're gonna be ok." I said.

I led us to some seats.

I sat by the window while Tara sat between me and Sam.

The others found seats close by.

As soon as the plane started moving, I felt Tara gripping my wrist.

"It's ok T, they're just testing before they clear us for lift off." I explained.

"I know." She said, leaning her head on me.

After a while, the plane stopped, and the pilot clarified that we would be taking off.

After a couple of minutes, the plane started moving again, and I felt us going up.

Sam had already fallen asleep. She was beat out tired.

I heard Tara making little panting sounds and got her inhaler.

The last thing we need is a bad asthma attack on a plane.

"Take this." I said.

While she was using her asthma pump, I noticed her eyes all watery and a few tears.

I forgot how scary flying really is for her. Maybe we'll bus back up here, and the group can fly after vacation.

"It's okay.. You're okay." I said, trying to comfort her.

"Sorry for being a crybaby. I thought I had it under control all day." She said.

"You're not a crybaby, and your fear isn't exactly irrational." I reassured her.

"Thank you. You have some gum?" She asked.

"YUP." I said, reaching in my bag.

We ate some gum and read a book together for a while.

Anything to distract her from the fact that we're in the sky.

"You look tired. Why don't you take a nap?" I said.

I took out a blanket and put it on both of us. Tara fell asleep shortly.

I looked out the window now that she's fallen asleep and saw that everything looked so tiny. I could understand how that seems scary to somebody because obviously you're not bigger than the buildings, you're just high up.

Soon, we ascended into some really puffy clouds. I decided I'd take some pictures for a while.

"How long has she been sleeping?" Sam asked.

"One, you scared me. Two, she fell asleep shortly after you did." I replied.

"Alright." She laughed slightly, closing her eyes again

We only had a little bit of time left on the plane before landing. Tara didn't wake up until we touched down.

"It's over?" She asked in a sleepy voice with her eyes closed.

"YUP, we're hereee." I said.