30-Candid talks

As we left the mathematics class, at first our fingers brushed together apprehensively but soon Alaric had reached over to clasp his entire hand in mind, our hands enveloped each other tightly and it spread warmth throughout my whole body. He lead me confidently to our break room and we walked together at a comfortable pace in silence. Holding the door for me, he followed me inside and for once, I felt out of place. 

What now?

Alaric seemed to have picked up on my apprehension as he guided me towards the love seat and he sat opposite me. 

He watched me carefully.

My heart beated louder in my chest.

Way to build suspense. 

I understood how people wanted to just spill all their secrets to this man, his overwhelming presence just dominated the room.

"How are you doing Juliette?" Alaric asked leaning back, his legs wide. 

I blinked in surprise, I licked my lips nervously. Alaric followed every movement and focussed on my mouth.

Stop looking at me.

I crossed my legs to put me in a more comfortable position- but this time his eyes followed my legs and noticably to my skirt which was rising. I pulled it down self-consciously. This could not go any better- I was making such a fool of myself.

"Good, I caught up on all my work on the break," I answered finally, clearing my throat to bring more confidence to my demeanour.

His huskily hummed as a finger tapped on his upper leg. 

"Alaric, is there something you wanted?" I asked cutting to the chase. I was so nervous and this seemed so unpredictable, I wanted to get away before I did something foolish.

Like throwing myself onto his lap.

Think innocently, Juliette. I knew I shouldn't have watched that show.

His obsidian eyes glanced deep into my soul, as our gazes battled again.

"I want you back." 

My pulse quickened.

"Juliette, I want to apologise. I realise that we," He corrected himself "I should be open with you, and keeping you in the dark doesn't protect you but only distances you further from me. I don't want that."

His words warmed me and I felt myself relax. This was the most open Alaric has ever been. My uptight, in control man had laid himself so vulnerable and bare.

"I am not someone who foolishly makes promises, but for you, sweetheart I will. I vow to be honest with you." He straightened, and I focussed on his words.

My eyes widened. 

"Really?" I questioned in shock.

He gave a firm nod, "Yes." His eyes glittered with promise.

"Then tell me, what are you hiding from me?" I asked him directly about what had been running in my mind.

The sudden phonecalls, his secrecy.

There was a slight pause and he opened his mouth to answer.

"I may have a fiancee."

My head snapped up.

What on earth?

"My father, the pompous git had an verbal agreement with one of his business partners. There is no offical engagement but it's an expectation."

Alaric had a fiancee.

So what was he doing with me?

"I told him no. I'm not his lap dog to fufill his stupid demands." His voice had a harshness to it which I had never heard. "I told him that I have a girl. And that will be the first and last woman I'll have in my life. He should have the expectation that if I marry anyone, it will be her."