Episode 4 Getting Acquainted

For the next few weeks Duckworth spent his time getting the newbie up to speed. She was certainly quick witted and although abit clumsy was always on task.

                "Sheesh I don't see how grunt work is better then a hit job." Vivian mutters as she did dishes.

     Duckworth smiled as he did his own rounds. "You may not want to say that aloud. I've worked quite hard to keep your secret."

    Truth be told it wasn't but you would not begrudge Duckworth of some fun. As he taught her he was observing whom she was outside pressure. So far while sassy defensive she was rather kind and engaging young lady.

   Bentina meanwhile was getting to know her as well. She liked her well enough however there was that side only Duckworth knew that Bentina didn't trust. Nothing against this girl personally but being an ex agent you tend to suspect everything.

          "Secret hm? What is that pompous butler talking about?" Bentina eyed Vivian.

           "Oh well afternoon to you too. " Vivian replied sassily. "Ask him."

     Bentina blocked her way. "Now listen carefully.  I'm in charge here well security wise, while you answer to Him I'm the real deal understand?  Any nonsense and I'll be on you instantly. "

    She huffed walking away leaving Vivian looking defensive.

                 "Sheesh what'd I do?"

     Duckworth joined her in time to hear the last bit of conversation.

                  "Bentina? Lovely little thing isn't she? Not to worry Vivian you're well in hand, come help me in the garden?"

            Vivian joined him, while she didn't like her situation she did feel terrifically safe with Duckworth.  She decided to ask him something as they set to work on the roses.

                 "So uh Duckworth can I ask...why are you still helping me? Or even keeping me locked up?"

        Duckworth gave an odd look. "Locked up? Oh there's hardly a need for that, my only intent was to assist You from a dark situation.  Is that so strange? "

         She sighed. "Honestly yes but I've always been seen as shifty so."

         "Such is the fate of a fox especially when I see none besides yourself. And if it helps I do not see you as shifty nor suspicious. "

        Vivian smiled slightly the rest of that day not even minding Bentina side eyes. She wanted to know Duckworth and so far he was a very kind and patient man with a touch of playfulness.