Aftermath

My heart was bursting with pride and joy as I looked into my daughters eyes as she fed from my breast. My labor was hard and long, but she was so worth the whole 10 hours. Simone Rae Chambers was born 8lbs 6oz. She looked so much like Maurice it was scary. I was almost jealous, because of the time I spent holding her and laboring to bring her in thus world and she had the audacity to come out looking like that man. Smh....
Maurice hadn't left this, other than to use the bathroom and go to the cafeteria to get coffee. He cut the umbilical chord and he was the first one to hold her, but that's something I had prepared myself for the whole pregnancy. He hovered when the nurses took her to clean her up, run vitals, and weigh her. I dang on had to beg him to give her to me and he stayed hovering awhile through my struggle to latch her onto my nipple so I could breast feed her. He was now sitting in the recliner chair taking a nap, it had been a long day for all of us so I didn't blame him for being exhausted. Plus that gave me time with my babygirl without him over my shoulder every 2 seconds.

Her eyes closed and she stopped sucking my breast so I assumed she was sleeping. I expected it to last long, but I guess because she's so little she didn't need a lot. I laid her on my lap, grabbed a nipple guard and pad and held it to my breast until I was able to snap the flap on the breastfeeding bra, Lady had bought me. Then I gently laid her on my chest and pat her singing top, top, bottom, bottom, middle, middle, middle, middle until she burped. I allowed her to lay in a ball on my chest for awhile just enjoying the new smell and feel of having my baby in my arms. I said a prayer to God thanking him for blessing me with a beautiful healthy baby and allowing me to make it through labor without complications. My eyes started to get tired, so I got up and put her in the little see through buggy/crib they provided for her. Making sure she was on her back, she had her little cap pulled down, and she was covered because it was cold in the hospital. I  then wabbled to the closet and pulled out an extra blanket and laid it on top of Maurice, before getting back in bed and pulling the covers over myself so I could rest while she slept.

I don't know exactly how long it was that we rested, because I hadn't paid attention to the time before I closed my eyes. It felt like I was only sleep for about 20mins when I heard a knock at the door. Before I could even answer the door opened and a nurse walked in. "Hello Mrs. Smith how you feeling sweetie." My eyebrows arch and I sighed. "That's Mrs.Chambers" Maurice sat up and corrected the lady. "Oh, umm I apologize, I think I might have the wrong...." She started to say while looking through the chart on the computer. "No, you have the right patient. I was married yesterday, so there might have been a mix up in the paperwork." I Told her rolling my eyes at Maurice. "Ok well, I was checking to see if you were able to use the bathroom yet? And if you needed anything for pain while I grab your meds?" She asked clicking the mouse and typing on the key pad. "Umm, I urinated, but I haven't had a bowel movement yet. And yes I do need pain meds." I answered her positioning myself upright, so I could take the medication they gave me. "And on a scale of 1-10 what would you say your  pain was?" I peeped over into the crib to see ny baby still sleeping soundly. She was so cute bundled up I just wanted to pick her up and cuddle her, but I would for atleast another half hour or until my breast filled up before disturbing her. "A strong 9" I responded. She nodded her head. "Ok, here you are Mrs. Smith or I apologize  Mrs. Chambers. I'm gonna have to get the paperwork for you to change the last name on your records, but I'll be back later with those. Other than that, is everything going ok?" I took the small cup of pills and water she offered me and swallowed them all at once. "Yes ma'am, everything's fine thank you." She took the pill container and water cup crumbled them and threw them in the trash. "Well, if you need anything just ring the call bell and someone will be in to help." She said gathering her things to leave. "Thank you, I definitely will." I told her leaning back and resting my head on the pillow. "Imma go freshen up in the bathroom, Simone is sleeping comfortably." I told Maurice swinging my legs off the side of the bed. I walked slowly to the cabinet area and went through the bags I had packed previously and got things I needed to take care of my hygiene and a pair of the oversized pajamas.  "Don't take too long baby, she already been sleep for almost 3 hours and I know you haven't had the chance to pump any milk yet." He told me while standing over the crib looking at her. I smiled when he took his phone out and started snapping pictures. I hadn't even thought about my phone till now, so I didn't have any pictures of her, but he was gonna send me all the ones he'd taken and I know I would be taking a lot myself. Right now I needed to go ahead and freshen up before we got company, because I figured it wouldn't be long until Lady and my cousins would come.