Chapter 4: A truth now told

We see Lee as he still sits behind the corner of the hallway. His legs had given into the fear he felt , causing him to slowly slink downwards with his back leaning against the wall until he sits on the floor. He was shaking slightly and very pissed off with himself.

Lee: (why did I let them hurt Ruby!?WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! You're an idiot Lee! An idiot for not helping! An idiot for being a stupid coward)

He started throwing insults one after the other at himself , clearly he was angry with his choice. He made a dumb decision that could've costed not only his life but Ruby's and AJ's, too. He buries his masked face into his gloved palms in frustration , tears threatening to come out of his eyes.

Ruby: Lee , are you ok?

Ruby asks as Lee looks up as he
again snaps out of his thoughts , failing to realize that Ruby now stood in front of him.

Lee: l-I'm sorry Ruby...I d-don't know what came over me. I l-let them hurt you. They could've hurt AJ too and it would al be because of me. Who am kidding it was a bad idea to stay with you , I don't want to mess with your life. I'm sorry.

He stutters out as he looks down at his boots in shame, not daring to look Ruby in the eyes. If she didn't hate him before, then she does now. He should just leave before he makes everything worse , maybe that's for the best. Lee stands up and walks to the door but stops as he was about to reach for the door handle when Ruby calls out to him.

Ruby: Lee, wait! Look , I know you didn't mean to hide , I would've done the same if I were in your shoes. It's not your fault , being scared is what makes us who we are. In the end, it depends on whether or not we face those fears , it makes us stronger. We've only known each other for a day and I know that deep down you are a good person. A person who just wants to help. Just (*whimpers*) , just please don't leave us.

She asks in a begging tone as she begins to cry , the fear and pain had taken it's toll by now. Lee slowly backs away from the door and walks over to hug Ruby as her cries are muffled by Lee's robes. Ruby calms down slightly , Lee hands her a tissue out of instinct.

Lee: (I don't remember carrying a tissue at all, but I'm glad i did)

Ruby: t-thank you.

She thanks him as she wipes her tears and blows her nose into the tissue , recollecting herself

Lee: you're welcome. Ruby , I know somethings on your mind, so please talk to me. If it will make you feel better.

Ruby looks at him and sits on the couch.

Ruby: there's no point in hiding it anymore. There's a reason I live alone , why I raise AJ by myself , why everyone here has tax collectors on their backs. I've got a story to tell, and it's gonna take a while to get it all out , so best have a seat.

Lee nods, then looks around and finds a wooden chair flipped onto the side. He sets it up straight but as he sits on it , the legs of the chair gives out, and it breaks apart immediately as Lee sits on it.

Lee: