thirteen

Lauren was awoken when a weight was suddenly lifted from the bed. Before she could figure out what was going on, she heard rushed footsteps disappear out of the room.

"Wha...?" Lauren sat up groggily, rubbing her eyes and looking around the room. Camila wasn't there. Inhaling sharply, Lauren quickly wiped her eyes and pulled the blankets off of her legs. She glanced at the clock. 12:15. They had barely been asleep for an hour.

"Camila?" Lauren raised her voice, trying to shake off her exhaustion and walking over to the door. "Camila?!" she called louder when there wasn't an answer. Just as she was about to exit the bedroom, she heard quick footsteps coming up the stairs.

Camila appeared at the top of the stairs, holding the medium sized canvas and hurrying towards Lauren. As the small girl got closer, Lauren realized there were tears streaming down her face.

"What's wrong?" Lauren asked quickly, stepping forwards just as Camila shoved the painting into Lauren's hands.

"I forgot," Camila shook her head and took a step back. "I am stupid. I am sorry," she looked down at the ground, frantically wiping her eyes with the sleeve of her sweater.

"You what?" Lauren asked, looking down at the painting she had found a few days ago. It still gave her goosebumps.

"It was a present," Camila stepped forwards and pointed to the painting. "For you. But it is too late," she sighed and buried her face in her hands. She didn't want Lauren to see that she was crying.

"Why is it too late?" Lauren grew confused, using her free hand to reach out and pull Camila's hands away from her face. "Why are you crying? This is beautiful, Camila," she looked down at the canvas in her hands.

"It was for Valentine's Day," Camila bit her lip and allowed Lauren to reach up and wipe her eyes. "But I... It is too late."

"Oh, babe," Lauren shook her head and led Camila into the bedroom. "No it isn't..." she sighed and propped the painting up on her desk so it could be seen from the bed. "I didn't..."

Camila followed Lauren over to the bed and sat down slowly. The dark haired girl thought for a moment before speaking once more.

"I didn't give you anything either..." Lauren shook her head. "I mean, I obviously got you something... but when you didn't talk to me I... I just didn't think you really cared."

"I do care," Camila scooted closer to Lauren and grabbed her hand. "I do, Lo. I do. I was scared."

"I know," Lauren cupped Camila's hand between her own. "But Valentine's Day is just a day, right? I mean, who says we can't have out own day right now?"

"Right now?" Camila tilted her head to the side.

"Yeah," Lauren nodded and stood up, moving over to her desk and rummaging around in the drawer for a moment. "Right now," she sat back down on the bed and set a small box in Camila's lap. "Happy... Happy Us Day," she smiled softly, kissing Camila's cheek.

"For me?" Camila whispered softly, holding up the box and turning it around in her hands.

"Only for you," Lauren laughed softly and crossed her legs underneath her. "Open it."

Camila's small fingers gently tore at the wrapping paper, revealing a small cardboard box. She lifted the lid, furrowing her eyebrows at what was inside.

"A string?" the smaller girl looked over at Lauren in confusion.

Laughing, the dark haired girl gently lifted the material out of the box and unrolled it. "Close," she smiled. "It's shoelaces. For your shoes," she motioned to the tattered white converse in by the door.