twenty four

Camila's mood continued to plummet. Two days later, Lauren managed to drag her out of bed and make her tag along to class. They sat at their usual table with Maia and Toby, and Lauren immediately got to work on finishing her painting. It was the Friday before spring break, and she had no time to waste.

She was so focused on her easel that she didn't pay much attention to Camila, who was painting her own canvas. Lauren finally finished her painting, and just in time. The teacher dismissed the class just as she set her brush down and took a step backwards.

"Whatd'ya think, Camz?" Lauren turned around, smiling softly. Her smile quickly faded when she saw Camila asleep with her head on the table, and a completely black canvas next to her.

"Camz... Camila," Lauren moved over and gently shook the girl awake. Camila mumbled something inaudible and looked up at Lauren with a confused expression on her face.

"What is this?" Lauren laughed nervously, pointing to the canvas. Camila squinted, blinked a few times, and shrugged before lying her head back down on the table.

Lauren glanced over at Maia worriedly. The other brunette raised an eyebrow, just as confused as Lauren was. Growing concerned, the older girl quickly cleaned up their table before tugging Camila to her feet.

"C'mon, sleepyhead, we're gonna go get pizza," Lauren bit her lip hopefully. Luckily, Camila smiled and nodded her head.

"I liiiikeeee pizza," she yawned mid-sentence, tugging on her beanie. Lauren looked over at Maia and Toby.

"Wanna celebrate spring break with us?" Lauren asked, inviting them to join along. They accepted, and soon all four classmates were packed into a booth at Laurenzo's.

"Pizza," Camila whispered, tapping Lauren's shoulder and looking around. "Where is it?"

"It's coming, goofball," Lauren laughed and ruffled Camila's hair. The smaller girl scoffed playfully and reached up to fix her beanie.

Surprisingly, when the pizza did arrive at the table, Camila didn't even finish once slice. Typically, the girl would barrel through at least two slices. Lauren grew concerned, but when she asked Camila if something was wrong, the smaller girl simply shook her head.

Camila was quiet on the drive home. The only sound that could be heard was the smaller girl's steady tapping of her fingers against the window.

"We're home," Lauren said quietly. Camila just nodded and followed Lauren upstairs to the apartment. Lauren watched as her girlfriend headed towards the staircase as soon as they got inside.

"Wait, Camz," Lauren jogged forwards and grabbed Camila's hand. "Something's wrong. I can tell."

"I am fine," Camila insisted, shaking her head. Lauren didn't believe it one bit.

"Camila, you h-,"

"I am fine!" Camila snapped, yanking her arm out of Lauren's grip and storming upstairs. The unexpected outburst took Lauren by surprise, and it took her brain a few seconds to register what had just happened.

Lauren knew better than to continue to question Camila. It would only bother the girl more. Unsure of what to do, Lauren ascended the stairs slowly. She heard rustling in the bathroom and realized Camila was with Wolf. Hopefully that would help her calm down a bit.

Lauren was just about to enter her bedroom when she heard a groan of frustration. Raising an eyebrow, she quietly moved towards the door and listened.

Camila was playing the piano, Lauren realized. The smaller girl would get the first few notes of twinkle twinkle little star, but then miss a key and slam her hands down on the keyboard in anger. This would result in a loud screeching noise from the piano, and another frustrated groan from Camila.