thirty one

Lauren was jolted awake the next morning when she felt something press into her side, nearly rolling her off of the bed. The green eyed girl quickly sat up to prevent herself from falling to the ground.

She immediately realized what was going on when she saw the small girl next to her mumble something inaudible and curl up into a ball.

"Camz?" Lauren whispered, nudging Camila's shoulder. The small girl almost immediately shot awake, sitting up and looking around the room in a panic.

"Camz, Camz, it's me," Lauren said quickly, finding Camila's hand squeezing it. "I'm right here."

Camila studied Lauren's face for a few moments, slowly coming down from the panic. She found familiarity in the girl's eyes and quickly crawled into Lauren's open arms.

The older girl pulled Camila into her lap, wrapping her arms around her girlfriend and rocking back and forth slowly to comfort her. "You're okay, I've got you," she whispered, combing her fingers through Camila's hair.

"I-It keeps h-happening," Camila sniffed, shaking her head and wrapping her arms around Lauren's neck. All the small girl wanted was to be able to get a good night's sleep, but the nightmares always seemed to prevent that from happening.

"I know, baby," Lauren sighed, holding Camila tighter. "I'm sorry I can't just take them in your place," she separated them slightly so she could wipe Camila's tears with the pads of her thumbs. "We're gonna get rid of them, I promise."

"Promise?" Camila whispered, holding up her pinky. Lauren nodded, interlocking their fingers and hoping this was a promise she could keep.

I watch your troubled eyes as you rest,
And I fall in love with every breath.
Wonder if those eyes are really shut,
And am I the one you're dreaming of?

'Cause underneath the darkness
There's a light that's trying so hard to be seen.
And I know this 'cause I've noticed
A little bit shining through the seams.

And if this is what it takes,
Then let me be the one to bear the pain.
Oh if this is what it takes
I'll break down these walls that are in our way,
If this is what it takes.

You keep on telling me I'm wasting time,
But to call it wasting time oh that's a crime.
And you think it's crazy what I'm trying to do.
Well baby, I'm a fool for you.

'Cause underneath the darkness
There's a light that's trying so hard to be seen.
And I know this 'cause I've noticed
A little bit shining through the seams.

And if this is what it takes,
Then let me be the one to bear the pain.
Oh if this is what it takes
I'll break down these walls that are in our way,

'Cause if you don't understand yet
Then I'll never let you forget
That you don't have to do this on your own.

I'll be your shoulder to lean on.
I'll be your right when you feel wrong.
So come on, take my hand, we're moving on.

And if this is what it takes,
Then let me be the one to bear the pain.
Oh and if this is what it takes,
Then I'll break down these walls,
These walls that are in our way.
If this is what it takes.

Just as Lauren finished singing, she caught sight of two blonde pigtails watching them from a crack in the door. The green eyed girl raised an eyebrow at her younger sister. Camila lifted her head from Lauren's shoulder, suddenly growing embarrassed when she saw Maggie watching them from the door.