twenty six

Lauren's eyes fluttered open the next morning to come face to face with her younger sister's stuffed bunny. She crinkled her nose, rolling over and closing her eyes once more. Only moments later, though, her eyes shot back open when she realized someone was missing. Camila.

Lauren sat up quickly and ran a hand through her tousled hair. She scanned the room, seeing no sign of Camila. Just as she moved to get off of the bed, she heard laughter. Raising an eyebrow, she listened quietly. She could make out Camila's soft giggle.

Rolling her eyes, Lauren yawned and stretched her arms out. She glanced over at Maggie, who was still sound asleep under the covers. Of course the two heaviest sleepers would be the last to wake up.

"Mags," Lauren whispered, rolling over and nudging the small blonde's shoulder. "Maggie, time to get up," she laughed. The small girl blinked a few times and sat up.

"Is it morning?" Maggie hugged her bunny to her chest and looked around the room.

"Yep," Lauren nodded, rolling out of bed and combing her fingers through her hair in the mirror. "Everyone else is already downstairs."

"Let's go!" Maggie smiled, scrambling out of bed and grabbing Lauren's hand. The green eyed girl was practically dragged down the stairs, and she eventually pried her hand free from the smaller girl's grip once they made it to the living room.

She raised an eyebrow when she saw her entire family squeezed onto the couch. Camila sat on the floor in front of the TV, watching it intently. Before Lauren could ask what she was doing, she was tackled in a hug by Chris and Taylor.

"You were already asleep by the time I got back," Taylor pouted once they pulled away from the hug. "I missed you."

"I missed you too. But I'm here now," Lauren laughed. She raised an eyebrow when she heard Camila and her parents laugh at something on the TV.

"What're they watching?" Lauren asked, glancing down at her siblings. Taylor and Chris both smirked and looked at one another.

"What?" Lauren laughed nervously, giving up on getting an answer for them and making her way into the living room. "You've got to be kidding me."

"You were cute, Lo," Camila giggled, hopping to her feet and walking over to her girlfriend. "See? You were cute," she pointed to the screen, where a grainy video of Lauren as a baby was playing.

"Come on guys," Lauren glanced at her parents, motioning to the screen. "Really?"

"Camila picked it," her father chuckled, holding his hands up as if he were surrendering. Lauren rolled her eyes.

"Like I'm supposed to believe that," she crinkled her nose, turning back to Camila and fixing the lopsided beanie on her head. "How'd you sleep?"

Camila shrugged and looked down at her feet, feeling uncomfortable talking about her nightmares in front of anyone but Lauren. The green eyed girl quickly caught on and shook her head, planting a kiss on Camila's cheek.

"How about we eat breakfast instead?" Lauren quickly moved over to the TV and turned it off before they could protest. Camila pouted, but Lauren distracted her by taking her hand and leading her into the kitchen.

After Camila made a show of showing the rest of the family how she could crack an egg, her father made them all chocolate chip waffles. Lauren noticed how Camila still didn't eat as much as usual. Hopefully that would go away now that she wasn't taking the medicine.

"We leave in about two hours," her mother informed them as she finished washing the dishes. Lauren nodded, bringing both of her plates to the sink and thanking her parents. She nudged Camila towards the stairs, which resulted in a race between both of them to the bedroom. Camila won.