twenty

Lauren aimlessly scrolled on her phone while both Camila and Wolf fell asleep on her lap. Camila had her head resting on Lauren's thigh, and the rest of her small body curled up in a small ball atop the rug in their bathroom.

Lauren looked down at the small girl, watching her chest rise and fall slowly. Camila sleeping was one of the most adorable things she had ever seen. The smaller girl would crinkle her nose slightly whenever she was dreaming, and it never failed to make Lauren smile.

The green eyed girl had almost fallen asleep herself, with her head hanging down slightly. Just as her eyelids drooped shut, she was startled when Camila gasped and her entire body shot upwards.

Wolf awoke with a start, scrambling off of Lauren's lap and clumsily finding a hiding spot behind his carrier. Camila whimpered, bringing her hands up to her face. Lauren immediately scooted closer to her shaking girlfriend.

"Hey, hey, it's me," Lauren said softly, rubbing her hands up and down Camila's arms and trying to get the smaller girl to look at her. "You're okay... it was just a dream."

"Lo?" Camila whispered, moving her hands away from her face.

"I've got you," Lauren nodded, but realized Camila's eyes were focused on something else. Before the green eyed girl could respond, Camila was crawling across the room and peering behind the carrier.

"I am so sorry," Camila mumbled, squeezing her eyes shut and taking a deep breath. Wolf scooted further back into the corner, clearly still afraid from the sudden burst of noise.

Whimpering, Camila plopped backwards against the wall and buried her head in her hands. Lauren moved to pull the smaller girl closer to her.

"I-I scared him," Camila mumbled, wiping at her eyes in frustration.

"Hey," Lauren shook her head and grabbed Camila's wrists to still her movements. "He'll be okay," she nodded. She met Camila's eyes and wiped away the girl's tears with the pad of her thumbs. "It's you that I'm worried about right now."

"Me?" Camila stitched her eyebrows together.

"Yes, you," Lauren nodded and slowly stood up, helping Camila up with her. "The nightmares are getting worse, aren't they?" Camila simply nodded softly. For some reason, the smaller girl felt ashamed.

"Let's go lay down," Lauren said quietly, leading Camila out into the hallway and making sure to close the bathroom door behind them to give Wolf some privacy. The minute they set foot in her bedroom, Camila burrowed under the blankets. Lauren sighed.

The green eyed girl sat down on the edge of the bed, rubbing circles in her girlfriend's back to try and calm her down. Without being asked, she began singing softly.

I walked across an empty land,

I knew the pathway like the back of my hand.

I felt the earth beneath my feet,

Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Oh simple thing where have you gone?

I'm getting old and I need something to rely on.

So tell me when you're gonna let me in,

I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin.

I came across a fallen tree,

I felt the branches of it looking at me.

Is this the place we used to love?