twenty nine

"Today, Karla," the man snarled, his fingers curled into a fist around the front of her shirt. "It happens today, or else. Do you hear me?"

Camila nodded frantically, subtly trying to wiggle out of her uncle's grip. When he let her go, she stumbled a few steps backwards and reached up to smooth out her shirt.

"I will," she nodded quickly, clearing her throat and looking shyly at the man in front of her.

"I know you will," he said, his voice low in the back of his throat. "Get out."

"Yes sir," Camila whispered. The small girl fixed her backpack on her shoulders before practically sprinting out of her house. Today. Today was the day.

Okay, so practically any interaction with Lauren already made her nervous. But now... this was different.

She remembered it clearly. Her uncle had come home the night before, slurring his words and waving his empty bottle around at her. "I am not working with that son of a bitch Jauregui," he had yelled, sending Camila into a panic. What had he meant?

And then she had seen something change in him. As if he has appeared calmer. That's when he turned to Camila, presenting her his perfect plan.

"You're going to make them hate us," he had laughed bitterly. "You're going to get that daughter of his to despise us."

Camila had been confused at first, and somewhat panicked. Her fear only grew as he demanded that she do something... ANYTHING, to make Lauren hate her. Enough that she would go home and tell her father.

And then he would brag about his perfect little Karla. Enough that Mike Jauregui just couldn't take it anymore. And then, her uncle would have the job all to himself.

Camila thought it was ridiculous of him to use his own niece as a weapon. But of course, she'd learned not to underestimate him.

So now, a few hours after leaving for school, Camila stood nervously in the front of the cafeteria. She'd planned this out as best as she could. All she would do is take Lauren's phone and mess around for a few moments. That wouldn't do much harm, right?

But she had to make this believable. She couldn't mess up. If she didn't do this right, Camila knew things wouldn't end well for her.

But hell, look at her. She was Lauren Jauregui. And she was beautiful. And Camila wouldn't deny herself of that fact, even if she was supposed to be in love with Scott. Which she wasn't.

After debating what to do for way to long, Camila took in a deep breath and swiftly made her way across the cafeteria. Suck it up, Cabello. She'd been in theatre classes. She could play a character.

"I'm not into guys like that."

Camila paused when she heard those words escape Lauren's mouth. None of the girls at the table had caught onto her presence yet.

"Or maybe you're not into guys at all," Camila blurted out.

She'd heard the rumors. Hell, everyone had. She wasn't sure if they were true, but she was playing a character. She had to make Lauren hate her. She couldn't risk it.

Camila's eyes landed on Lauren's phone and she quickly grabbed it, just as the girl looked up. Their eyes met briefly, and Camila felt her stomach drop into her chest. She couldn't look at Lauren, so she quickly diverted her eyes down to the girl's unlocked phone.

It was open to Lauren's messages, and Camila immediately raised an eyebrow when she saw someone had been sending Lauren pictures of female models. Clothed, of course. But still. She had to be in character.