TBI 14: Cargo

[ Chapter 14: Cargo ]

Selene | Selvy

It was a short while before Valan initiated to go back. He didn't continue what he ought to say and I respect his decision. We turned away from the vast expanse of the sea, our steps retracing the path we had taken. The weight of Valan's unspoken words lingered in the air, a heavy presence that cast a shadow around.

As we walked back towards the vibrant gardens and the echoes of laughter and music, a sense of quiet acceptance settled within me. I understood that Valan needed time to process his own truth, to come to terms with the intricacies of his past. Respecting his decision to withhold further revelations. Sometimes, silence can be a sanctuary, a space where introspection and reflection can flourish.

In the midst of the lively festivities, we blended in, concealing the turmoil that churned within our hearts. The sun still blazed overhead, casting its golden rays upon us, but now its warmth was tempered by the cool breeze that whispered through the swaying trees. As we reentered the bustling atmosphere of the garden, surrounded by the joyous revelry of those who seemed untouched by the hidden truths that shaped our lives, I felt a renewed sense of calmness.

"Valan!" Sabay kaming lumingon sa likod ng marinig namin ang halos magkasabay na boses nang dalawa. Both of them expressed relief as they saw their Commander. Parang hindi dapat hayaan na mawala sa kanilang paningin si Valan dahil tiyak na magkakaroon ng problema.

"Don't do that again," Admiral exclaimed. Nauna siyang lumapit bago hapitin ang braso ni Valan at sinabi 'yon. "Kung gusto mong magpakamatay, 'wag ngayon. We need to catch the mastermind of abducting these villagers, and as well suppress the turmoil going on in the West Waters. Isa pa, we have a Mermaid with us!"

Admiral's words hung heavy in the air, laden with a mixture of concern and frustration. His outburst revealed the gravity of Valan's disappearance and the urgency of their mission to unravel the mystery surrounding the abduction of the villagers. However, the true extent of the turmoil and the significance of having a mermaid among them eluded my understanding.

"Shut up," Valan said without falter. Valan, seemingly unaffected by Admiral's passionate plea, tried to free himself from Admiral's grip, his eyes reflecting a complex mixture of emotions

"You good?" Lutch said as he arrived. "Based on the monitor, you have to recuperate at least four days of bed rest."

"I'm fine," he just replied blandly. Valan's response, devoid of any emotion, indicated his unwillingness to acknowledge his own vulnerabilities. It was as if he had built a wall around himself, shielding his true feelings and physical state from those around him.

As an outsider to their world, I couldn't fully grasp the intricate web of relationships, responsibilities, and dangers that bound them together. The depth of their shared history and the complexities of their individual roles were still shrouded in mystery to me. However, the intensity of their interactions served as a stark reminder that there were forces at play far beyond my understanding.

Their arguments continued. Admiral spitting some precautions towards his masters, almost reprimanding him which is odd because it's the other way around. Lutch stood between them, trying to balance the situation. Wala namang sinasabi si Valan at panay putak lang din si Admiral at iniiawat ni Lutch ang kaibigan para tumigil.

"Who's hungry?" I interrupted. "Because I am."

My abrupt interruption broke the tension in the air, diverting their attention from their troubled conversation. A faint smile tugged at the corners of my lips, trying to not froze from their eyes.