TBI 44: Threat

[ Chapter 44: Threat ]

Selene | Selvy

As the auctioneer announced my turn, I stood at the center of the stage, surrounded by a sea of leering faces and the clamor of escalating bids. The air was thick with anticipation, a sickening mixture of lust and greed. Their laughter, their hungry gazes, fueled the fire of anger within me. I could feel the power surging through my veins, a potent force ready to be unleashed. With each bid that went higher, a wave of resentment swelled within my chest.

Enough was enough.

A surge of energy emanated from my core, crackling with a dazzling light that illuminated the darkened skies. Gasps of astonishment filled the air as I released my power, a breathtaking display that held the audience in thrall.

"You dare to commodify and dehumanize us!" I shouted, my voice resolute and unwavering. "Well, hear me now! I refuse to be a pawn in your sickening games!"

The onlookers recoiled, their eyes wide with fear and awe as they witnessed the raw power coursing through me. The bidding came to an abrupt halt, replaced by a stunned silence that hung heavy in the air.

One man, the highest bidder, stepped forward, his face a mixture of fear and excitement. He licked his lips, his voice trembling as he spoke, "What manner of being are you? Such power... it's beyond anything I've ever seen."

A wicked smile spread across my face, a flicker of satisfaction in my eyes. "I am Selvyna, Princess of Adelaide, and I will not be controlled or sold like a mere object. If you value your lives, release my people and leave this place."

The man's bravado wavered, his gaze shifting nervously towards his companions. "You...you cannot possibly defeat all of us," he stammered.

My voice, filled with authority and determination, echoed across the island, reaching every corner. "I have no desire to harm anyone. But make no mistake, I will do whatever it takes to protect those under my care. Release them now, and perhaps mercy will find its way into my heart."

The tension in the air was palpable as the pirates exchanged anxious glances. Whispers of uncertainty permeated their ranks, as if they had glimpsed the flames of their own demise. Slowly, hesitantly, they began to release the captive mermaids, their fear outweighing their greed.

As my people were freed, they huddled close to one another, their eyes filled with relief and gratitude. The pirates, now outnumbered and overpowered, dared not challenge me further. Their greed had brought them face to face with a force they couldn't comprehend.

With a final, chilling glare at the crowd, I unleashed a surge of power, creating a barrier of energy around me. It shielded my people from harm, while also serving as a warning to any who dared to approach.

"Now leave," I commanded, my voice carrying the weight of authority. "Flee this place, and may the memory of your greed haunt your every step."

With that, the pirates scrambled, their steps quickening as they fled from the island, their desire for wealth overshadowed by the fear of my wrath.

As the last pirate disappeared into the distance, I let out a deep breath, the fury within me subsiding. I turned to my fellow mermaids, their eyes filled with awe and admiration.

"We are free," I said, my voice filled with determination. "No longer will we be treated as mere commodities. We will forge our own destiny, reclaim our power, and build a future where mermaids are respected and cherished."

Cheers erupted from the gathered mermaids, their voices filled with hope and renewed strength. Together, we would rebuild, not just our lives, but the very essence of what it meant to be a mermaid.