TBI 39: Mermaid

[ Chapter 39: Mermaid ]

Selene | Selvy

Valan and I stood at the edge of the cliff, his strong arms wrapped around me in a protective embrace. Our gazes were both out at the vast expanse of the ocean, its surface shimmering under the radiant rays of the setting sun. As the day neared its end, the sky transformed into a canvas of warm hues, painting a breathtaking scene before our eyes.

The crashing of the waves against the rugged rocks below reached our ears, blending harmoniously with the gentle whispers of the cool breeze. It was a moment of serenity and tranquility, a perfect reflection of the love that enveloped us.

The world seemed to fade away, leaving only Valan and me. The ocean's rhythmic melody, the soft touch of the wind, and the warmth of his embrace all blended into a symphony of love. And as the sun dipped below the horizon, I felt a renewed sense of determination and a flicker of hope for the journey that lay ahead.

In that serene backdrop, I felt a sense of peace and contentment. Valan's presence provided a comforting anchor amidst the uncertainties that lay ahead. His love wrapped around me like a shield, providing solace and strength in the face of the challenges we would soon confront.

As we stood there, lost in the beauty of the fading day, I knew that our bond would endure. We were connected not only by our physical touch but by a deep understanding and an unbreakable bond of love. We would face the trials that awaited us, we would be standing strong against the tides of fate.

"Beautiful..." his voice whispered in my ear, sending shivers down my spine. "You are beautiful."

A soft chuckle escaped my lips in response. "Just like the sunset."

Valan's warm breath caressed my skin as he spoke. "But you are more than just a sunset. You are like a sunrise, a symbol of hope and new beginnings that I eagerly await each day."

A blush tinted my cheeks as I bashfully replied, "You're so sweet."

"It's because of you," he murmured, his embrace tightening around me, as if never wanting to let go. "You exposed what I fear the most."

I shifted, leaning my back against his chest, seeking comfort in his presence. "But you didn't regret it, right? You didn't regret loving me?"

His arms held me tighter, his voice filled with unwavering conviction. "The only thing I regret is the two years we spent apart. Each day I wonder, would there be any difference if you didn't leave? If I didn't overuse the core just to find you? That night, I was scared, I feared I might not be able to see you again. Fear clouded my mind, it made me weak, it made me make bad decisions. I regret that I didn't stop you from leaving, then your abduction wouldn't have commenced."

His words hung in the air, heavy with regret and vulnerability. I turned around in his embrace, facing him directly, our eyes locked in a bittersweet gaze. The weight of his words resonated deep within me.

"Valan," I began, my voice filled with compassion. "We can't change the past, no matter how much we wish we could. But it's because of those experiences, those mistakes, that we have become who we are today."

He sighed, his gaze searching mine for reassurance. "I know, Selene. But sometimes, the what-ifs haunt me. The fear of losing you again, of making the wrong choices, it consumes me."

I reached up and tenderly caressed his cheek, the touch of my hand grounding him in the present moment. "We've both made mistakes, Valan. But they don't define us. What matters is how we move forward from here, together."