Chapter 37: Destiny is calling my child...

UNKNOWN:

She was lost and disoriented. She kept straying and vanishing and drifting little by little out of consciousness... What was this? Where was she? Was this a castle? Her eyes barely registered the trail ahead. She saw some sort of sombre corridor, black and white tiles that lay forth and under. It felt like she was a chess pawn sliding on a chessboard. It felt like some holy power was moving her. She felt like she was being nudged, pushed and dragged with no ability to stop herself from drifting further...

 She felt like she was being nudged, pushed and dragged with no ability to stop herself from drifting further

She barely had a chance to see the paintings on the wall. The largest paintings were of a man and a woman leisurely sitting on a throne of thorns, a scary one at that. Both of them carried themselves with pride and power. Whilst one inspired love, the other inspired ultimate hate. The woman had delicate features and loving eyes, long shiny hair and an adorning smile embracing the world and everyone living in it. The man had a rigid look about him, sombre eyes and an evil stare. His eyebrows met in the middle like he was glowering at the world, threatening anyone and everyone. The frames had initials graved underneath them: MM and EM.

Other paintings were laid on each side of the corridor. Two women were featured on the left next to the huge paintings, and, on the right, four men and a boy. These people were sublime... Noble, majestic and just utterly awe-inspiring.

All the paintings had golden frames... All of them except one; the painting of an attractive man with curly-haired dirty blond hair, pearl-white skin and blue eyes that pierced into your soul. He looked like a warrior ready for battle but had a delicate air about him, a frail expression resembling the one shown in the second painting... As if this "EM" was somehow his mother. The man felt familiar... But her memory was betraying her. She didn't understand how she arrived here, and definitely didn't remember who these people were supposed to be or how she knew them. The silver painting especially spoke to her and deeply touched her heart. This man connected with her on deeper levels... His eyes made her heart beat briskly. And the more she looked at them, the more they changed. Blue vanished and Gold slit through reality at the expense of its navy predecessor. The eyes shifted into almond-shaped entities, colours ranging from amber to pale yellow and ultimately landing on the purest gold humanity has ever seen. A glowing iris set the tone of the discussion that lay ahead and she found herself unable to stop connecting with the man in the painting.

She wasn't supposed to be here. This wasn't her world. The power that was emanating from this painting felt so overwhelming... it felt like such a power would destroy her, would destroy everything. She had to leave. She didn't belong here.

"You are exactly where you're supposed to be my child..." A voice broke through her chain of thoughts and pulled her back to the world she was trying helplessly to flee.

"Who are you?" She found herself feebly asking as if knowing would make an even remote difference or help her go back home.

"It matters not."