Chapter 40

Chase's POV

I made my mind up to apologize to them and thank them for helping during my heat but now that they were actually in front of me, my words kinda got stuck in my throat.

They finally tore their attention away from their conversation once they noticed me and I shyly waved as my nerves picked up.

I haven't seen them in a while and I'm sure Jay told Julio about me and Juno being mated to each other. They both froze in their tracks as they stared at me with an expression I couldn't really describe and put into words.

But them freezing just made me feel even more awkward than I already wanted to feel.

"What's gotten into you boys? Y'all can't come say hi to lil ol' me and Sweetheart over here?" Jay's dad asked before placing his hand on his right hip.

I sighed at the nickname he gave me but it was time for me to get used to it if this was how all the vendors were going to treat me.

"Sweetheart..." Julio repeated and I blushed in embarrassment as they finally started moving their feet towards where we were standing.

"Jay my boy! Sweetheart here told me how you saved him during his heat! I raised ya well!" Jay's dad said, grabbing Jay and pulling him into a huge bear hug the second he was within reach.

During their little hugging moment I swear I heard a bone pop from one of them...most likely Jay with how strong his dad is.

"So uh hey Sweetheart how have you been since...You know uh your umm...heat?" Julio asked awkwardly as he stood in front of me, avoiding eye contact with me.

It was strange seeing him shy like this and it was super out of character.

I moved my body to stand in view of where his blue eye's that looked just like his younger brothers, were and his face reddened.

"My bad it's not you or anything I swear. It's just I kinda remember your pheromones every time I'm near you so I've been hanging low for a bit." Julio admitted quietly as I moved back to where I was standing.

"I wanted to apologize to you for that day. I felt like I got in the way of your celebration and didn't get to help out. You even had to send one of your friends to take me home. But I am thankful that you were nice enough to help me despite all that." I told him earnestly and his usual smile came back.

He looked like he was about to say something but then my stomach cut him off with another huge growl. The growling from my stomach just seemed to get louder and louder the longer it took me to put something in my belly.

"Ah! Sweetheart's still hungry. Can you boys help him carry all his stuff? I see he's planning on shoppin some more but there's no way he can carry all that." Jay's dad said, finally letting Jay go.

"N-no! It's totally okay I'll just make multiple trips. I don't want to burden them and they seemed busy. I have all day to myself since Juno's at school." I told them and Jay gave Julio a confused look.

"He's at school so you're going to do all the shopping and stuff by yourself while he's away?" Julio asked and now even Jay's dad shared their confused looks.

"Shouldn't he have made this trip instead? Seriously what is he thinking." Jay muttered and I didn't really know what to say.

Juno was busy and now I had a lot of free time on my hands. I didn't see the problem with me coming to pick up a few groceries while he was away. I was heading this way to see Dr.Ortiz anyways and I didn't have much plans aside from that.

"You look confused but it's not that we're upset with you. It's just uh...your pheromones are still a bit unstable right? We're just concerned about your safety is all. And me and Jay aren't busy. We don't mind helping you carry everything back." Julio reassured me with his usual warm smile on his face and then I remembered what my doctor said.

I guess I really don't have a sense of danger because all I thought about was getting food and groceries. I forgot my pheromones leak out from time to time.

Hopefully when I start taking that medicine he prescribed to me tomorrow that'll fix that problem and allow me to venture out more without worry.

"Ok...thanks. And thank you Jay for helping me out that time. Without you, I wouldn't have met with Dr.Ortiz and I could've ended up hurt." I thanked him and his face reddened.

He rubbed the back of his neck shyly and looked away from my gaze as his dad chuckled.

"It's no problem. I just don't like seeing others in pain. I'm glad you're ok." Jay responded to me before bending over and picking up one of my tote bags.

Julio grabbed the one filled with meat and handed it to Jay then my stomach ached, reminding me that I haven't even gotten a chance to try my brisket and corn in a cup yet!

I quickly took the fork that was sticking out of the cup and shoved some in my mouth, much to Julio's and Jay's surprise but Jay's dad wasn't phased.

He was probably used to wolves scarfing down his barbecue by now so I was just like any other customer he got.

The second the sweet barbecue sauce hit my tongue I was in heaven. I let out a moan of satisfaction as I chewed the amazing meat in my mouth.

Within seconds the brisket I had was completely devoured then so was the corn. The cup was practically licked completely clean.

"Damn Sweetheart if you like it that much, I can make you some more whenever you come see me. How bout it?" Jay's dad tempted me and I clung to his side immediately.

"Chase seriously?!" Jay shouted but I could barely hear him over his dads laughter.

I hugged the man as tight as I could and his scent invaded my nose. He smelt like the smoke from his smoker and musky. I almost fainted with how strong his body felt too. It was like hugging a boulder so I had no clue how Jay survived that bear hug earlier.

"Dad if you hug him back you'll literally kill him." Jay warned and Julio laughed as he grabbed my other tote bag that was empty.