𝟯𝟯. | 𝗞𝗔𝗜 & 𝗠𝗔𝗦𝗢𝗡

𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧

"Friends with benefits?" I say louder than necessary. Friends with benefits, I repeat Kai's words in my head. Friends. With. Fucking. Benefits. The phrase echoes through my mind, each word a painful reminder of the state of our relationship. How could he reduce what we had to just that?

Kai and I had been friends for years, and somewhere along the way, our friendship had blossomed into something more. At least, that's what I thought. We spent countless nights talking, laughing, and sharing our deepest secrets. We got intimate, kissed and had sex. It felt real to me, like we were building something special.

But now, standing in his dimly lit apartment, I realize that I had been fooling myself. Kai had never seen us as anything more than friends with benefits. The realization stings like a deep wound, slicing through my heart and leaving me breathless.

I turn to face him, my eyes filled with hurt and confusion. "Is that all we were to you? Just friends with benefits?"

Kai sighs and rubs his temples. "Mason, you know I care about you. But I never wanted to be in a serious relationship. I thought we were on the same page."

His words hit me like a punch to the gut. How could he think that our connection was so shallow? Didn't he feel the same intensity, the same longing that I did? I feel tears welling up in my eyes, but I refuse to let them fall. I won't let him see how deeply he's wounded me.

"Well, it wasn't just friends with benefits to me," I manage to say, my voice barely a whisper. "I thought we had something more, something meaningful."

Kai's expression softens, and he steps closer, reaching out to touch my arm. "Mason, I didn't mean to hurt you. I value our friendship, and I don't want to lose you. Can't we find a way to move past this?"

I pull away from his touch, my heart heavy with disappointment. "I don't know if I can, Kai. You've made it clear how you see us, and it's not enough for me. I need more."

Silence fills the room as we both struggle to find the right words. I can see the conflict in Kai's eyes, a battle between his fear of commitment and the bond we share. It's a fight I'm not sure he's willing to win.

I wait another minute until I realise he won't say another word. As I slowly turn around to grab my stuff I can hear Kai taking one step towards me but stopping himself from reaching out. Without looking back again I leave his apartment, a place I once loved more than my own home. Not anymore.

~

Three months have passed since I last saw Kai. I've tried to move on, to fill the void he left behind, but his absence is a constant ache in my heart. The summer has been a blur of work and distractions, but nothing can erase the memories we shared. God I sound so pathetic.

I step on the freshly cut gras when I see Kai approaching with a mixture of nervousness and hope etched on his face. I try to avoid looking directly into his eyes but I fail miserably as I catch myself starring at the man I have never stopped thinking about.

"Mason," Kai calls out, his voice laced with regret. "Can we talk?" he asks more quiet, now standing right in front of me. He looks down with a big question mark on his forehead.

I take a deep breath, steeling myself for what lies ahead. This could be my chance to find closure, to finally let go of the pain and confusion. I nod. "Later. Stop by at my place." I say as calm as possible before turning around and getting my head ready for training.

4 hours later and I'm still debating whether it was the right the decision to invite Kai over or not. I flinch at the sound of my doorbell. I lead Kai towards the living room as if he hasn't been here a thousand times before. As we sit in silence for a moment, the weight of our shared history hangs in the air. It's hard to ignore the the undeniable chemistry that once drew us together, our friendship before things got complicated. But this time, I'm determined to protect my heart.

"I've had a lot of time to think," Kai begins, his voice filled with sincerity. "And I realize now how much I underestimated what we had. Friends with benefits was never enough for me either, Mason. I was scared of losing our friendship, of taking that next step."

I listen to his words, searching for any sign of deception. But his eyes are earnest, his expression vulnerable. Maybe, just maybe, he's learned from his mistakes.

"I won't lie, Kai. It hurt when you dismissed what we had as something casual," I confess, my voice steady but filled with emotion. "But I also understand the fear of losing something so precious. I felt it too."

Kai takes my hand in his, his touch warm and comforting. "I don't want to lose you, Mason. You mean more to me than I ever realized. I want to be with you, to explore what we could become. I know I fucked up. Will you give me another chance?"

A surge of hope rushes through me, mingling with the lingering pain. I take a moment to truly consider his words, to weigh the risk against the potential reward. And in that moment, I make a decision.

"I'm scared too, Kai." I admit, tears welling up in my eyes. "If we're going to make this work, we need to redefine our relationship. I need to know that you see me as more than just a casual fling. I need to know that you're willing to give us a real chance." I pause, looking at his face filled with what I think is hope.

"But I'm willing to take that leap with you." I whisper my last words, still not 100% sure if I will regret this decision in the future.

A smile lights up Kai's face, and he pulls me into his arms, holding me tightly. In that embrace, I feel the weight of our past mistakes lift off my shoulders, replaced by a renewed sense of hope and possibility. We have a long road ahead of us, filled with challenges and uncertainties. But when his soft lips lightly brush mine pulling me in for a kiss full of emotion and longing, I believe in us.

-

1148

⎯ ❝ 𝙖𝙪𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙧 '𝙨 𝙣𝙤𝙩𝙚 ❞ ⎯
habe diesen one shot schon ewig in
den Entwürfen und endlich geschafft
mal fertig zu schreiben
ich hoffe er gefällt euch <3
demnächst werde ich anfangen alles
hier ein bisschen umzustellen

𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚, 𝙀𝙢 <3