[ in which she receives a note ]

After exchanging a few quick words with Stiles and Scott, Sydney quickly maneuvered her way towards the crowd of students and towards her locker to gather her things for her first class: algebra.

"Why weren't you at practice today?"

Sydney lifted her head from her locker and looked over at Violet, who was standing behind her, Garrett beside her with a smug smirk on his face.

"I was." Sydney furrowed her eyebrows and shifted the heavy books in her arms, longing to be in the algebra classroom instead of the crowded hallway, due to her claustrophobia. "I was sitting with Kira and Malia."

Violet pursed her lips and nodded once in understanding, tucking her dark hair behind her ear. Sydney's eyes locked onto a pendant that hung around her friend's neck, a thick silver chain supporting it.

"Nice necklace," she commented with a grin. "Is it new?"

"Oh, this?" Violet laughed cheekily, holding up the large pendant in her hand, almost as if she were meaning to show it off. "It's nice, isn't it? I bought it online."

Sydney nodded once again, shifting the books in her arms once more before following her friends towards the algebra classroom.

Sydney hated algebra with a dying passion. She was fine with math in elementary school- in fact, she always enjoyed cutting cookies into several pieces and practicing addition and subtraction on them. But then, they threw letters into the picture. Ever since her first day as a sixth grade student, Sydney had completely despised the subject. She always dreaded the fifty four minutes that were spent doing math- not to mention the teachers were usually completely assholes.

But, as she stepped foot into the algebra classroom, the hour that was ahead of her suddenly seemed much more bearable than before. As she settled into her desk behind her best friend, Mason, she saw that there was a new student standing at the front of the classroom, deep in conversation with the teacher and the vice principal. She recognized him as the goalie from the morning practice- his dark hair now spiked up instead of sticking to his forehead. Sydney couldn't help but find herself smiling as the teacher looked down at a seating chart, as the only empty seat in the classroom was right beside her.

She had seen the boy talking to Mason earlier that morning, in the hallway, so she figured that the two must have been friends- or, at least, Mason knew his name.

"Hey, Mason." She leaned towards her friend and tapped his shoulder roughly. Even though his back was to her, she knew Mason was rolling his eyes, as he always did in a playful gesture whenever she wanted to speak to him. He turned around in his seat and raised an eyebrow in a silent gesture to speak. "Who is the new kid you have been hanging out with?"

Mason glanced behind him once more at the boy at the front of the room, "Liam? He's, like, my best friend. He just transferred here from Devonford Prep."

Sydney furrowed her eyebrows and scrunched her nose in a hurt way, placing her hand over her chest, "Best friend?"

Mason rolled his eyes and patted her shoulder in a comforting way, "Best guy friend. We both know you are my best friend, Syd."

Sydney crossed her arms over her chest and smirked triumphantly, "That's right." Mason rolled his eyes once again and turned back around, leaving her to her thoughts. She rested her chin in the palm of her hand and gazed at the boy- Liam- at the front of the classroom. He was busy staring down at the clipboard in the teacher's hands, the strong scent of anxiety coming from him, oblivious to the girl staring at him creepily. Sydney was snapped out of her trance as Mason waved a hand in front of her vision, a loud laugh falling from the boy's lips.