[ in which they go on a trip ]

The next morning, Sydney Stilinski awoke to her brother harshly shaking her shoulders. Groaning and swatting his arms away, she rolled over and buried her head into the pillow. The night before, she had stayed up until midnight, talking to Mason and coming up with the most reasonable excuse that she could think of. The two friends seemed to be on good terms now, and she was thankful for that. Judging by the amount of sunlight that shone through her curtained windows, Sydney knew that it had to be only around 9 in the morning.

"Sydney, get up." Her brother's breath hit her ear as Stiles leaned closer to her, only causing yet another groan to fall from her mouth.

"I'll take the bus." She wasn't exactly aware of what she was saying- if she was, she would have literally slapped herself across the face to mentioning it. Though, thankfully, Stiles only laughed at her sleepy voice and poked her shoulder once more.

"Last time I checked, there wasn't a bus that goes to Mexico. Especially for the cost of the small, fifteen-year-old budget you're on."

At his words, Sydney sat up in bed and stared at her brother, suddenly feeling wide awake. "Mexico?" She repeated and raised an eyebrow, half hoping that she heard her brother wrong. It was nearing the end of the year, which meant final exams were coming up, and she sure as hell couldn't afford to ditch school to go to Mexico.

"That's right, baby sis." Stiles tugged her arm and forced her into a standing position beside him, patting her back gently. "Pack your bags and put on your claws and fangs, because we're going on a rescue mission... in Mexico."

"Does dad know about this?" Sydney questioned as she stood in the doorway of Scott's bedroom. Stiles had managed to get inside the McCall household using a key he had made- why, she had no idea, nor did she plan on asking, as she knew that knowing would be much more disturbing. Now, her brother and Malia were currently searching through Scott's room for something that they could catch his scent with, while Sydney only stood in the doorway, keeping watch for Melissa McCall or Scott's father.

"Uh- yeah, of course," Stiles stuttered nervously, handing a shirt out of Scott's closet to Malia. "Here, try that." Malia grabbed the shirt and smelled it, her face scrunched in concentration. She sighed, throwing the shirt on the ground with a look of defeat. "Fabric softener."

"Stiles, you should know by now that you're a horrible liar," Sydney said with a roll of her eyes, tapping her foot on the carpet beneath her. "Won't he be worried?"

"He'll know where we are, at least. I talked to him about it last night. He knows that I want to go to Mexico, but he's not gonna be too happy about it." Scott disappeared into the bathroom, reappearing a moment later with a pair of Scott's dirty underwear in his hand. He smiled awkwardly and handed them to Malia, who only scrunched her face in disgust. "Remember, Scott's life is on the line."

Her eyes rolling in their sockets, Sydney abandoned her post in the doorway and walked over to Scott's unmade bed. She picked up a pillow, raising her eyebrows at her brother, before handing it to Malia.

"Yeah." His eyebrows furrowing, Stiles pursed his lips and nodded. "Yeah, that works, too."

"Oh! Liam, go home." At the mention of Liam's name, Sydney pushed past her brother and squeezed into the kitchen, her eyes widening at the sight of Liam leaning against the island in the middle of the room. His face brightened as his eyes locked with the girl's, his lips pulling into a small smile.

"I'm not going home," he protested and crossed his arms over his chest stubbornly. "I'm not letting Syd go to Mexico without me. Besides, I want to help save Scott just as much as you do."

Stiles made a noise that was similar to a gagging sound in the back of his throat. "I'm her brother, Liam. She's gonna be perfectly safe with me. You're not coming with us."