[ in which he is saved ]

Instead of going with Scott after school to find Liam like she had wanted to, Sydney was forced to go home with Stiles. No matter how much she begged, which was a lot, her brother refused to let her go look for her missing friend, claiming that it was too dangerous. She knew that Stiles was still pissed at her after the day before, when she totally, and quite accidentally, forgot to respond to his text messages asking if she was okay. She had a feeling that this was partly why her brother forced to her to come home with him.

She didn't speak a word the whole way home, her gaze focused on the trees as they zoomed past, her mind swarming with thoughts that caused her head to spin. She was worried about Scott; what he was doing was extremely dangerous. He was risking his life, along with taking the risk of being caught and thrown into prison. And, no matter how hard she tried, Sydney could no longer find herself to trust Garrett to keep his word. But, most of all, she was worried about Liam. She had no idea where he was- hell, she didn't even know if he was alive or not. If Garrett really did take him, the killer that she had once thought to be one of her closest friends was capable of doing anything.

Almost as soon as Sydney stepped foot inside her house-which was around 5 o'clock, thanks to Stiles' frequent and "very important" stops at various stores- her phone began ringing. She didn't even bother to check the caller ID, ripping it from her pocket and pressing answer before holding it to her ear.

"Did you find him?" Honestly, it would have been embarrassing, and also quite weird, if she had not been talking to Scott after all. Though thankfully, the familiar voice that belonged to her brother's best friend spoke through the speakers, causing her spirits to lift dramatically.

"Get to the animal clinic, now. I found Liam."

And then the line went dead.

>>

"Is he okay? Where is he?" Sydney didn't even bother greeting Scott, Dr. Deaton or Mr. Argent- whom she had not seen since he fled to France with her former best friend, Isaac Lahey- before bombarding the trio with questions. She pushed past Scott and into the animal clinic, her heart feeling as if it were about to be ripped from her chest at any given moment. Her alarmingly loud voice had broken through the tense silence that had fallen over the animal clinic for several moments, causing all three men to jump in their shoes.

"He's unconscious right now," Scott explained from behind her, grabbing onto her arm to stop her from going any further. "We need to let him rest. He had a long day, Sydney."

Though Sydney ignored what her friend was saying, tearing her arm out of her grip and continuing through the animal clinic frantically. She pushed into the exam room, causing Dr. Deaton and Mr. Argent to jump once more.

"Hey, Sydney," Mr. Argent greeted her kindly, though she only acknowledged him with a small wave, her eyes glued to the unconscious figure laying on the metal table in the middle of the room. Liam's eyes were closed, his skin pale, and not to mention shirtless, with a large gash running down his chest. Yellow tinted puss was seeping from the wound, which was red and irritated around the edges.

Naturally, Sydney stepped towards the table, standing over the unconscious boy with her hand raised, ready to heal him with whatever energy she had left after her agonizingly long day. Though, as she slowly lowered her hand towards Liam's bare chest, Dr. Deaton grabbed it, shaking his head in a sympathetic way.

"I would not waste your time," he said softly, though sternly at the same time. "The blade he was stabbed with was laced with wolfsbane. You will be unable to heal him."

Blinking rapidly, Sydney nodded, withdrawing her hand and tucking it in the pocket of Liam's hoodie. She pursed her lips and bit the inside of her cheek nervously, turning to Scott, "Is he going to be okay? What happened?"