[ in which he is a beta ]

As Scott, Kira and Liam scattered from the room, Sydney scrambled to her feet, running a hand through her straightened hair and letting out a long, nervous sigh. She was beginning to feel the effects of the full moon, as well. Even if she was a mature werewolf, she did still have those nights where she felt utterly weak and out of control. Lydia stood across the room, staring at Sydney as if she expected her to do something. Sydney could hear the hushed whispers of the horde of teenagers outside the door, as if they were right next to her. Pushing her nerves and restlessness down, she took off for the door, swinging it open as another knock sounded on the dark wood. Standing in front of her was a crowd of teenagers, all looking at her expectantly as she stared at them dumbly- their hushed whispers stopped at the sight of her. Mason stood at the front of the crowd, Garrett and Violet beside him. Her three friends' eyes were wide as they stared at her.

"Hey, Sydney. We're in the right place, aren't we?" Mason questioned, his eyebrow cocked in a sort of confused expression. Sydney licked her lips, her stomach sinking to her feet as she fought to find the right thing to say.

"For the party...?" Garrett added with a smug look on his face. Sydney jumped a bit as she felt a hand rest of her shoulder. She turned to see Lydia staring at the horde of teenagers in front of them, a large, exaggerated grin stretching across her face.

"Absolutely," she breathed out, pursing her lips as she pulled Sydney aside to let the cheering teenagers enter the house. Sydney hadn't noticed that her friend had set up a bluetooth speaker, and that music was playing loud enough to fill the whole house with sound.

Sydney recoiled as she felt a pair of arms wrap around her, though she didn't bother to hug Mason back. She was never much of a hugger, and her best friend knew that. Though he still insisted on pulling her into a bear hug every time he saw her. Mason pulled away, a large grin spreading across his lips as he gazed around him.

"Now this is how I like to spend my Friday nights," he said with a loud, musical laugh. Sydney found herself laughing along with him, despite the serious amount of stress she felt at that moment. Lydia had disappeared into the crowd, doing who knows what, leaving Sydney to deal with the stress alone.

"Syd, where is Liam?" Mason's voice pulled her from her thoughts, and she pulled her gaze away from the crowd and back to her friend. Waves of suspicion radiated off of him, causing her heartbeat to falter a bit.

"He's- uh." Sydney looked around her as if she were actually looking for Liam, then she turned back to Mason and shrugged. "I actually don't know where he is."

Mason pursed his lips, looking at the girl suspiciously, though he let it slide. "He told me that he was getting a ride from that Kira chick, and I don't see her anywhere. Perhaps they just haven't arrived yet."

"Yeah," Sydney laughed nervously, clenching her fists at her sides as she felt a sudden feeling of restlessness. "Hey, I'm gonna go help Lydia with the drinks. I'll see you around, alright?"

Not even bothering to gave Mason a chance to answer her, Sydney immediately began to maneuver her way through the crowd of people dancing to the electronic music that blared through the speakers. Her breathing was heavy as her claustrophobia began to kick in, suddenly wishing that she was somewhere alone- somewhere where she had little chance of loosing control and hurting someone.

Sydney found Lydia in the kitchen, where she was busy gathering solo cups full of some red drink on a silver tray. Lydia's hands shook as she struggled to pour the drinks, clearly just as nervous as Sydney was about the last minute party.

"Need help with that?" Sydney questioned as Lydia let out a loud sigh. The banshee brought her hands to the sides of her head and rubbed her temples.

"No. Thanks though, Sydney." She suddenly turned to the girl, guilt flashing evidently in her green eyes. "Hey, I'm sorry about what we are doing to that Liam kid. I know what we are doing is somewhat wrong, but I want you to understand that we're doing it with the best intentions. We only want to help the kid- Scott especially. He feels as if this is all his fault."

"Part of it is his fault- well, most of it. He is the one who broke his leg and bit him," Sydney said flatly. "Liam is the one you should be apologizing to, not me." Lydia nodded and pursed her lips. She picked up the tray of drinks, flashing Sydney a small smile before moving to exit the kitchen. Though Sydney stopped her before she could do so, stepping in front of her. "But, hey, don't worry about it. I'm sure Liam is very forgiving."

>>

As soon as Sydney stepped foot out of Lydia's lake house, a cool breeze hit her bare arms, causing her to instinctively wrap her arms around herself, despite the heat that ran through her veins. Howls echoed through the chilly night air- howls that she almost immediately knew belonged to Liam.

Twigs snapped under her feet as Sydney quickly made her way down the trail to the boathouse, where Liam was currently being held away from everyone. Her fingers twitched at her sides, nervous at what she would find when she arrived at the boathouse. Liam was a new beta, and tonight was his first full moon, which meant he would be stronger and more out of control than he ever will be. He would have a lust for blood, an urge to kill anything and everything with a heartbeat. Sydney knew that Scott would end up needing help with the boy, and that was what she was planning on doing.

Finally, the boathouse came into view, and Sydney quickened her pace. She approached the building at a run, attempting to make her footsteps as quiet as possible as she stepped into the sheltered area.

Liam was tied to a metal post- fully shifted with elongated fangs and claws as he twisted and turned and growled. Kira and Scott stood not too far away from him, their arms around each other and staring at the shifted boy in complete shock. Liam's gaze immediately snapped towards Sydney, though he did not stare at her with his usual beautiful, blue eyes, but instead with glowing yellow ones. His fangs snapped at the air as he struggled against his restraints, letting out several grunts of frustration.

"I thought we told you to stay with Lydia!" Sydney's head snapped away from the beta and she looked over at Scott as he spoke. He was now standing protectively in front of Kira, claws beginning to form at the tips of his fingertips and his eyes glowing alpha red.

"Admit it, Scott. You're going to need all the help you can get with this one," Sydney said calmly, though she slowly felt herself beginning to shift. She flicked her wrist, causing her inch long claws to appear in a single swift movement.

Scott sent her a look that only he could wear, though he only shrugged it off, turning to Kira as she spoke in a worried voice.

"Are those chains going to hold him?" She asked, referring to the struggling Liam, who still had his golden gaze glued to Sydney.

"Uh- yeah, I think. Definitely," Scott said, nodding his head and swallowing nervously. "He can't be that strong-"

Just as he said this, Liam flexed his arms once, causing the metal chains around him to snap off. He immediately leaped to his feet, bearing his teeth in a snarl as Scott advanced towards him. Though Liam didn't attack him, instead he stumbled towards Sydney. She didn't have enough time to process what was happening before she was on the ground, Liam on top of her and scratching at her chest with his claws.

"Liam!" She yowled, resisting the urge to dig her claws into the kid's back. She didn't want to hurt him, despite the fact that he was literally tearing her apart. "Liam, stop! This isn't you. Just- just stop!"

Liam suddenly stopped what he was doing and, for a mere second, his eyes flashed to their normal blue color. Though they immediately returned to the shining amber, and he growled once again. He hopped off of Sydney, staring at her for a moment before leaping through a window. Sydney sat up quickly as the glass shattered around him, watching in silent shock as he disappeared into the dark forest.