[ in which she is targeted ]

Something that surprised everyone, herself included, Sydney Stilinski dressed to impress for the scrimmage that night. Unlike her usual, 80s grunge style, Sydney was wearing a dark blue, single shouldered dress, and a pair of beige pumps that she had borrowed from Lydia. Of course, she got help from the red headed banshee when it came to choosing her exact outfit. Without Lydia's help, she wouldn't of looked nearly as good as she did. Sydney didn't exactly know why she forced the girl to come over to her house right after school and help her pick out a nice outfit- perhaps it had something do to with the fact that there were over a dozen, hot Devenford Prep students flooding the lacrosse field that night, or maybe it had been because she only wanted to impress Liam. She did not know for sure.

Though, as Sydney sat in the bleachers between Mason and Lydia, the confidence she had felt before the scrimmage was replaced by anxiety. The same emotion was radiating off of Lydia, mixing with her own like a thick fog in the night air. Sydney could practically feel it, lingering above their heads like a storm cloud, and this made her uneasy. She was nervous about Garrett's possible connection to the dead pool, meaning that he was targeting any supernatural creature that was on the field- or in the stands- that night. She had only just learned about this possible connection literally right before the scrimmage started, and boy was she glad she had decided to come. Sydney had to be there for her pack, just in case something did happen to them; she had to be here to heal them.

Unlike most other werewolves- and any other supernatural creature for that matter- Sydney was gifted with several different powers whenever she was turned, one of which gave her the power to heal not only herself, but any other being that she only simply touched.

Though, despite the anxiety that threatened to eat away her insides, Sydney still managed to focus on the lacrosse scrimmage that was going on in front of her. Throughout the whole game, she caught Liam's eyes on her several times- filled with guilt and regret and some third emotion she had yet to recognize.

"I really got to pee," Sydney breathed, a groan falling from her lips as she pushed herself to a standing position between Mason and Lydia. "I'll be back," she growled in a deep voice, one that her and Mason spoke to each other in frequently.

"I'll keep your seat warm for you," Mason replied in the same voice and winked. He slid across the metal bleachers and closer to Lydia, wriggling his eyebrows at the girl. Though she completely ignored him with a subtle roll of her eyes, focusing her gaze on Stiles as he ran across the field. Sydney couldn't help the smirk that spread across her lips as she stared at Lydia, beginning to maneuver her way down the bleachers. No matter how much she liked Malia, she just couldn't help but wish her brother would break up with her and go with Lydia instead. It was obvious the two liked each other, a lot, and Sydney wished that they would finally do something about it.

"Mini Stilinski!" Sydney's head snapped around as Coach Finstock called to her, motioning her over to him with a wave of his hand. She had only rarely spoken to the lacrosse coach, and her future economics teacher, apart from a few times when she tried to sneak into the locker room before practice, so she had no idea what he wanted with her.

"Yes, Bobby?" She asked hesitantly as she trotted up to him. Coach's arms were crossed over his chest, glaring at her as though she had done something wrong.

"Stop distracting my star players," he stated simply, which only confused Sydney more.

"I'm sorry, what?" She questioned, cocking an eyebrow and shifting her weight. "How am I distracting?"

"I don't know what you're doing, but Dunbar has been unable to take his eyes off of you this whole time," Coach said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, causing Sydney's cheeks to heat up in a blush. "Apart from McCall, Liam is my best player, and without him, we're beat. So- just go somewhere where he can't keep his pretty little eyes on you and actually focus on lacrosse."

"No problem, Bobby," Sydney said cheekily, holding her hand up in a thumbs-up. "I was planning on going pee, so today is your lucky day."

Coach's face scrunched up and he took a step away, "Didn't need to know that, Stilinski number-two. But, just, take your time."

Sydney shot Coach one last, cheeky smile before taking off in direction of the school, her full bladder starting to ache inside her.

Whilst in the middle of doing her business, Sydney heard the door to the girl's locker room open and close again. Though it was probably just another student needing to use the bathroom, the noise put her on edge, especially with the chance of being assassinated at any moment. Anything was possible in Beacon Hills.

Once she was done doing her business, Sydney allowed her claws to form at her fingertips, just to be on the safe side, though she kept them hidden in the small pockets of her cardigan. As she stepped out of the stall, Sydney looked around her carefully to make sure there wasn't an assassin waiting to decapitate her. Once she was sure the coast was clear, she quickly made her way across the locker room and towards the door. Though, as soon as her hand came in contact with the metal door handle, she felt something wrap around her neck- a thick metal wire that tightened around her throat and cut off her air supply. Based on pure instinct, Sydney let out the loudest scream she could manage.

"Shh," a familiar voice spoke in her ear as a choking sound fell from her lips. Her hands tightened around the wire, struggling to pull it off her neck. "There's no need to struggle, Sydney. It'll only make it longer and more painful."

"Violet," she choked out, her heart seeming to drop to her feet. "What- what are you doing?"

"What does it look like?" Violet laughed- a laugh that made Sydney's blood run cold. "I'm killing you. And once I'm done killing you, the healer, I'm going to kill of the rest of your precious pack. One by one, starting with Scott McCall."

Sydney suddenly felt a searing hot pain in her neck, and she slowly felt herself growing lightheaded as the wire dug deeper into her skin. She had no strength left, unable to fight back, she let herself grow limp in Violet's arms.

Suddenly, as if some sort of miracle had happened, Sydney could breath again. She let in a large breath of air, bringing her hands up to her throat and felt the deep, burning wounds around her neck. A single scream fell from Violet's lips, followed by a loud crash, before everything fell silent. The sounds of Sydney's ragged breaths and the low growls coming from whatever stood behind her were the only sounds to break the momentary silence. Slowly, hesitantly, Sydney turned around, afraid of what she was about to come face-to-face with.

Liam stood in front of her, fully shifted, his glowing golden eyes glued to her face with a look of genuine concern. Despite the exhaustion that pulled at her feet, Sydney braced herself for a fight, as Liam was totally unpredictable at that moment in time. Though what he did surprised her. Despite being fully shifted and capable of tearing her apart, he approached her, wrapping his arms around her small body and pulling her into his chest. Sydney could feel his claws digging into her back, but they slowly disappeared back into his fingertips. His breathing was heavy against the skin of her neck, which he nuzzled softly. She was shaking uncontrollably in his arms, which only made him tighten his grip on her.

Sydney felt utterly weak, helpless. She was supposed to be a wolf, an apex predator that was on the top of the food chain, but instead she couldn't even fight off a mere threat. She found herself sobbing into Liam's chest, soaking his lacrosse jersey with her tears.

"I'm here, Sydney. I'm not leaving you," he whispered softly as she tightened her grip on his shirt. He pulled away from her, wiping a tear from her cheek with his finger as he looked into her eyes. "Are you okay?"

Despite almost being decapitated by who she thought was her best friend, Sydney found herself smiling, "I am now."