11: THE HIDDEN QUEST

"ARE YOU done talking to yourself, Huxford?"

Zirkus blinked several times when he realized that Yelena Dover, the hidden Mermaid Princess, was still standing in front of him. There was a respectful distance between them, and it looked like she was waiting for him to get back to his senses.

[I forgot that I'm talking to her.]

"How long was I out of it?"

Yelena Dover smiled before answering. "About five minutes?"

Wow.

He was so shocked by the System's revelation about the Hidden Quest that he just stood there like an idiot.

It was a surprise that Yelena Dover waited for him politely.

"Sorry about that," Zirkus said while scratching his cheek. "I spaced out."

"It's alright," she said. Her speaking voice really sounded kind, huh? Well, it matched her gentle face, anyway. "Are you alright? You look pale. Should I bring you to the clinic?"

Oho?

He was surprised because this was the first time he was treated with kindness.

The people he had encountered so far would either directly insult him or just plainly ignored him. This was probably the first time he was treated as a human being.

[I'm quite touched.]

"Nah, I'm fine," he said. "Thank you for worrying about me. And don't worry because I'll carry it to my grave."

"The fact that I put an entire fresh fish in my mouth?"

Zirkus tilted his head to one side, pretending innocent. "I don't remember anything like that."

"Pfft." Yelena Dover stifled her laughter, then she nodded politely at him. "Thank you, Huxford. As I thought, you weren't as bad as the rumors suggested."

"There's some truth in it, though," he said, shrugging. After all, Zirkus Huxford really used to be a bully. "I went through a rebellious phase and only got my sense back recently. But before, my behavior used to be as ugly as my face."

"Hey, don't say that," she said gently. "You're not that bad-looking."

"Someone told me I look like a sheepshead fish."

<"Because you do.">

Of course, Zirkus ignored the rude System.

Yelena Dover, on the other hand, beamed. "Sheepshead fish are charismatic, though? Their human teeth are their selling point."

Zirkus suddenly felt a little bit flustered.

Right, this was the reason why most of the readers didn't like Yelena Dover as the heroine.

[The readers complained that Yelena Dover's character is boring because she's too nice.]

"You may not be conventionally attractive, but you have your own charm, Huxford," Yelena Dover said while smiling encouragingly at him. When he didn't respond (because he didn't know how to respond to kindness), she changed the topic. "By the way, I think I held you up with your appointment..."

"Ah, no. It's not that important," Zirkus said while shaking his head. "I was just headed to the Auditorium Hall for some consultation since I failed the recent exam."

"Me, too, me too," Yelena Dover said, laughing as if she was happy to find a comrade in failing the exam. "I also failed the exam, and I was told my Aura is too weak. Hence, I'm actually contemplating dropping out of school. After all, I don't think I'd be chosen to take part in the Internship Program."