16: DEADLY TREASURE HUNT (3)

IN JUST a few minutes, Zirkus found himself alone on the ship deck.

When all hope was lost, he considered jumping off of the sinking cruise ship. And then it happened.

A single yet friendly tap on his shoulder gave him life.

"Zirkus?"

Zirkus immediately turned around and clasped his hands together as if he was praying. "Noonim!"

Yes, Yelena didn't leave yet.

Or perhaps she went back for him because he looked pathetic– er, helpless?

"It seems like Enzo didn't tell you anything about the treasure hunt, Zirkus."

"It's also kind of my fault for not doing my research, Noonim," Zirkus said while scratching his cheek from embarrassment. "I totally depended on Enzo."

[That backstabbing bastard...]

"I like that you admitted your mistake," Yelena said, smiling at him. "Unfortunately, even if I want to, I can't carry you on my back. Hunters are allowed to bring teleportation spells to reach the Treasure Island. But we are forbidden from helping each other. If we arrive together, both of us will be disqualified."

Ah, so that was why Enzo probably left him.

[But how does he expect me to reach the island if he didn't warn me in advance about the first trial?]

"Noonim, I don't want you to get disqualified because of me, so please go ahead," Zirkus said, smiling. "I'll figure out something on my own."

Yelena's smiled again, then she pulled her necklace until the chain broke. After that, she dropped it on the floor. "Ah, I lost my favorite necklace," she said while staring at the necklace with a small conch seashell as a pendant. "What a shame. It happens to be a Holy Artifact."

His eyes opened wide a bit.

[Don't tell me, Noonim is...]

"It's a shame that I lost my favorite necklace. If you use the pendant as a trumpet, then a sea creature that can speak the human language will come to your aid," Yelena said, still staring at the necklace while pretending to be talking to herself. "That certain sea creature is a bit picky, but if he happens to like the person who summoned him, then maybe he'd agree to bring that person to the nearest island here?"

Zirkus let out a gasp.

Now he was certain.

[Noonim is helping me!]

"But I have to warn whoever picks up my favorite necklace," Yelena said, then she raised her head and meet Zirkus' eyes directly. "The sea creature that would get summoned could be violent. So I hope whoever picks it up has some great convincing power."

[Oh, I definitely have that. After all, I'm someone who managed to convince Enzo to keep me alive even after I "bullied" him.]

"Noonim, it's a shame that you lost your favorite necklace," Zirkus said, putting a hand over his chest. "But I have a feeling that whoever picked up your necklace would return it to you later."

Yelena smiled at him. "See you later, Zirkus."

***

<"ARE YOU really going to use the Mermaid Princess' necklace? Do you trust her that much?">

"It's not like I have another choice," Zirkus said while holding the conch shell in his hand. "The cruise ship is sinking faster than it did earlier."