XV

(POV Danielle)

What does she mean better company? And laughing it up? This girl is so confusing.

I sit back down at my desk, while Cami walks in 3 seconds later. Is that what Saylor was talking about? Why would she even care about her? Or me?

"Hey girl, since you were too busy grading this weekend, how about we check out that new bar on friday? Pretty please."

She's actually pouting while asking this. I sigh, "fine, but don't make it late." She squeals, "you're the best!" And runs back out.

She's so exhausting sometimes. I like her, but it's been a long day. How does she even have this kind of energy right now.

I pack up my stuff, and then head home.
I couldn't stop thinking about what Saylor said the entire drive home. Once I get home, I put my stuff on the table and get out my phone.
I open up the conversation with Saylor.

Me: What did you mean?

I put my phone down on the table, I'm not really expecting a response, since she's been ignoring me for days. And it's quite inappropriate for a teacher to text her student. But she's 21, she shouldn't even be in school. I honestly just wanna help her get through whatever she's struggling with. She has school and takes care of her sister, while working on top of that.

I walk out with Oakley and play with her for a little bit. After that, I go back in and give her her food. As I'm cleaning up, my phone buzzes.

Could it?

Saylor: What do you mean what did I mean?

Seriously, Saylor? You're gonna give me a brain aneurysm.

Me: You know what I mean, stop playing games

Saylor: I don't like games. Or you. I just like Sofia and unfortunately, she likes you. She's been begging me for days to see you, I told her you're busy

Is this supposed to hurt me? Because it kind of did. And I don't know why it did. Because I don't really know her, but then again I also do know her. I wouldn't be able to tell anyone her favorite color, but I would be able to tell people about her past and why she's scarred in some ways.

I don't bother texting her anything else. I put my phone on dnd and start grading some assignments. I heat up some leftovers while I keep grading stuff, I really should've done some over the weekend.

At about 8.30, I decided to call it quits. I turn my computer off and head to the bathroom.
I shower and get ready for bed. I crawl in bed with Oakley right next to me, and start a movie on Netflix. By the end of it, I was already asleep.
I have no recognition of what happened. Nor do I remember what it was about.

~~~

The past few days were awfully painful. Everyone seemed to be having an attitude in class, except for Saylor. She pretended like I was invisible. She got in class right on time, and made sure she was the first one out.

It's thursday, and Saylor didn't show up for the second English class even though she was here this morning. I mark her absent and carry on with my class. When the bell rings, I ask Ezra if she has a minute. I wait for everyone else to leave.

"Do you happen to know where Ms. Martin is?"
She nods her head, "something she had to do at work for art class, she asked to trade her detention hours in for it and the principal agreed. That's all I know." I nod and tell her she was good to go.

She really did everything she could to avoid me, even making sure she didn't have detention with me. I pack up my stuff and head to the parking lot. As I'm driving, I decide to take a little detour and stop by the bar she works at. I'm curious to see what was so important. I'll just take a little peek.