XXV

Why in the world did I even agree to going trick or treating with them? I don't know what the point in me setting boundaries was, if I completely ignore them the second Saylor opens her mouth.

And it's not that I don't want to go, or that I don't want to be with them, it's that I don't know what will happen if I continue to let myself spend all my free time with them.

I find myself mentally occupied with them every chance I get, wondering how and what they're doing.

Saylor's somewhere backstage getting ready to perform, and I'm an anxious mess. I know she doesn't like performing in front of other people, and I feel bad because she probably felt like she didn't have a choice.

"Dani, don't worry she'll be fine."

Sofia's in my arms waiting for her big sister to perform. I give her a little smile and nod.
"Right, yeah, ofcourse."

Lainey walks out on stage, she looks around and smiles before turning on the microphone.

"Hello everyone. First of all, I wanna thank each and every one of you for coming here today, it is greatly appreciated. As you all saw in the invitation, we were supposed to have a well-known band performing today. Sadly, they informed us not too long ago that they are stuck in traffic and won't be able to make it. However, we have a very special guest here today who offered to take their spot. She is an amazing local singer, so enjoy the performance and have a great evening."

We all applaud, she walks back to where she came from and greets Saylor who just came out on stage. She gives her a big hug and what seems like a pep talk.

Saylor looks anxious, but still confident. Sofia and I are in the front row like the big fans we are.
She quickly scans the room and smiles when she sees us. She takes a deep breath before reaching towards the microphone.

"Hi everyone, I'm Saylor and I guess today I'm gonna sing some songs for you."

She gives Lainey a small nod, who now apparently joined the people who do all the music and technical stuff.

Soft, quiet music starts playing from the speakers, and I know exactly what song she's about to sing. Ed sheeran's one of my favorite singers of all time.

She closes her eyes and starts singing the song like it's her own.

Another day another life
Passes by just like mine
It's not complicated
Another mind
Another soul
Another body to grow old
It's not complicated

Do you ever wonder if the stars shine out for you?
Float down
Like autumn leaves
Hush now
Close your eyes before the sleep
And you're miles away
And yesterday you were here with me

Another tear
Another cry
Another place for us to die
It's not complicated

Another love that's gone to waste
Another light lost from your face
It's complicated

Is it that it's over or do birds still sing for you?
Float down
Like autumn leaves
Hush now
Close your eyes before the sleep
And you're miles away
And yesterday you were here with me
Ooh how I miss you
My symphony played the song that carried you out
Ooh how I miss you
And I, I miss you and I wish you'd stay

Do you ever wonder if the stars shine out for you?
Float down
Like autumn leaves
Hush now
Close your eyes before the sleep
And you're miles away
And yesterday you were here with me
Touch down
Like a seven four seven
Or stay out and we'll live forever now