XIX

(POV Saylor)

I don't even know what I'm doing here. She came to me apologizing, then asking us to go home with her because she wanted us to, to then telling me she just cares about my grades. Seriously?

I've never felt more stupid, angry and betrayed in my life. I actually thought she cared about me, guess I was just fooling myself. I give Sofia a forehead kiss and try to get some sleep.

~~~

I wake up to the smell of coffee, I look over and notice an empty space next to me. Sofia was probably awake a lot earlier, since she slept so long. I get up and walk towards the kitchen. Sofia's eating cereal at the kitchen island with Dani doing stuff on her computer next to her.

I walk over to Sofia and give her a kiss on the back of her head.
"Morning."
"Hey Saylor!" She says with a mouth full of cereal. I chuckle and walk over to get a cup out of the cupboard. Dani looks up at me from behind her computer and gives me a small empathetic smile. "Morning."

I fill my cup with coffee and then lean my elbows on the kitchen counter while blowing the steaming liquid. Seriously, I can barely function without it.

"Are you not gonna eat breakfast?"
"Not hungry."
"Oh."
"Mhm."
"Any plans for today?"
"No."

Sofia finishes eating her cereal and jumps down from the high chair. She runs over to Oakley and starts playing with her. I take her dirty bowl and spoon and put both in the sink.

"Saylor."
"Hmm?"
"I'm sorry. For yesterday, I shouldn't have asked about your parents."
"That's why you're sorry?"
"Well yeah. I mean no. Obviously I made you upset, and I'm sorry."
"You did a lot more than make me upset, Dani. You made me feel stupid for trying to trust you, for even trying to think that you could possibly care about anything more than my grades."

She was gonna start talking, but I honestly didn't wanna hear it. And I wasn't gonna do this with Sofia here. I put my cup in the sink and walked over to Sofia.

"Soof, let's get ready to leave."
"Why?"
"Because I said so."

She pouts but follows me to the bathroom.
I clean myself up a little as I didn't wanna ask for clothes, and do the same with Sofia. I brush her hair and put it in a little bun. When we're done we walk out and I start gathering our stuff.

"Sofia, why don't you go say goodbye to Oakley outside?" She nods and runs towards the door. Dani opens it and lets her out.

"Um, thanks for having us."
"Saylor, please."
"Please what?"
"You do know that your car isn't here, right?"

I totally forgot. Shit.

"I'll call a taxi." I pull out my phone and start looking up the cheapest taxi place around me.

"I can take you guys home."
"No it's fine."
"Just let me take you home."
"Why?"
"Because I want to."
"Why would you want to. It has absolutely nothing to do with my grades?"
"Why are you being so mean?"
"Because I hate you."

I swallow. It just came out.

"No you don't."

I look up from my phone and see her staring at me with a hurt expression on her face.

"Can you just take us home?"
"Sure."

She walks over to the dining room and grabs the sweatshirt hanging on the chair. She pulls it over her head and then grabs her keys. She walks back over to the window to call Sofia, but stops mid action and looks at me.

"Did I really hurt you that much?"
"Yes."
"How?"
"You came to my work to apologize, then begged me to come here, and then you tell me you only care about my grades."
"What else do you want me to say?"
"I thought you cared about me. That's all. But God forbid anyone ever cares about Saylor Martin, right? Now please take us home and then leave me alone."
"Saylor, I didn't mean t-"
"I don't care. Just like you don't."