Chapter Five

Arianna moved back to Betsy's side after she closed the cabin door. The wound was slightly infected, Arianna knew that if it was not treated and cleaned now, it may begin to fester. She had asked the cabin boy to summon the doctor; bring medical supplies, a light meal and hot black coffee for her. Arianna placed her shaking hand against Betsy's brow to feel for fever. Though she felt a touch warm, Arianna thought it more from her show of strength as the wound was cleaned with the cloth, than a sign of the dreaded sickness.

Arianna took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She was beginning to feel better now that she had purged the rum that had sat in her stomach like poison. Her head still ached, as did her body, but her mind was beginning to clear and her stomach was beginning to settle. Why had she drank so much last night?

She knew better than that.

Hell, she had learned that lesson at sixteen, when she had stolen a bottle of her father's best brandy, and ridden her stallion down to the creek. She had finished off three quarters of the bottle within a couple of hours, and had been too drunk to get herself back on the dreaded side saddle. She had also learned it again in the gypsies' camps, while in Madrid, when she had sampled their homemade wine liberally.

It was not as if she had a problem with drinking. She felt neither want nor need to do so on a regular basis. She normally went months without so much as a glass of wine. Perhaps yesterday's stress had gotten to her. It wasn't every day that she had to pull and shoot pistols to defend her life and the life of another.

Her father had always hired people to see that she was protected when she was not at home, and had taken the time to teach her how to handle different firearms and a dagger, as well. Her driver had been a very large man who stood well over six-foot-tall and was as wide as the hundred-year-old oak tree that graced the front lawns of her father's seat in Marlborough. Mr. Green had been his name, and he had spoken more to her horses, than he ever had to her. Two footman had always accompanied her carriage, and all three men had been armed to the teeth, at all times. Though she had been trained to shoot, the pirate she had killed, had been her first live target.

Arianna drew in another deep breath and prayed for the man she had stolen existence from. She prayed not that the Lord would welcome the soul she had sent him, but that he found peace. For though he would have raped and either sold or killed her, she was no murderess, and she felt the weight of his blood heavily upon her hands.

Not for the first time, Arianna wondered if she had embarked upon a fool's mission. Was her freedom worth the loss of all the luxuries she was accustomed to? Was it worth all this hardship and... And... Well, it was a bit adventurous. After all, well-bred English ladies only read about pirate attacks, and handsome sea captains, in novels their husbands or fathers would frown upon.

Betsy made a noise from the bunk and Arianna returned her attention to her maid. Betsy's brow was damp and her face was devoid of color. Arianna wondered what was keeping the cabin boy.

There was a knock on the door and Arianna moved to it quickly and pulled it ajar. Seeing the Lady's doctor and two cabin boys with arms laden, she pulled the door wide and permitted the three entrance. The Jamaican woman stepped into the room and set her black bag next to the bunk. The first cabin boy came in with a pitcher of steaming water, clean linens, and a bowl of a dark liquid Arianna identified as rum by the sickly-sweet scent that made her stomach roll. The second cabin boy came in carrying a tray laden with gruel, a biscuit, a slab of salted meat, and strong smelling black coffee.

Arianna waited until the cabin boys had deposited their goods and scampered back down the hall before she settled into a chair and retrieved the coffee and the biscuit. She sipped and nibbled as if a perfect balance was the only way to settle her stomach. Arianna watched as the doctor probed the wound with her fingers.