Chapter Forty Six

Carmelita watched as he surveyed the rack of whips and tools of torture.

"Do you believe you have had enough, Cammie, my dear?" He asked over his shoulder as his fingers caressed the whips.

"I do."

His mouth twisted into a thoughtful grimace, "I suppose you have. But when Lady Kent returns and confirms that you warned her, know that you will be sent back for more."

She shivered, "Yes, sir."

He moved away from the racks retrieving the key to her cuffs from his pocket. He stepped closer and freed her.

Carmelita began to rub the red, angry skin at her wrists, not moving without his permission otherwise.

"You may dress and return to your duties. The hour I told you to spend with your son has been revoked."

"Yes, sir." She waited until he turned and made his way from the dungeons.

Once he was out of sight, she rose, making her way to the racks, she used the bucket of water to rinse her body. Gathering her clothing, she slipped back into them as fast as her injured body would allow. The laces at the back of her dress proved a problem, as the wounds upon her breasts were stretched when she tried to reach for them. She managed to secure them enough to preserve her modesty, though the act was painful. Spying the bottle of liquor Bailey had left above the rack, she reached for it slowly, careful to not stretch and hurt herself overmuch. She pulled the cork and swallowed the smooth liquor. It helped to calm the shaking that had overtaken her now that the ordeal was over. She took another small drink and set the bottle back, noticing the warming feeling in her midsection and the slight numbing of her pain, as the liquor began to soothe her.

A shuffling sound got her attention, an odd sensation that she was not alone filled her being. Carmelita turned and studied the cavern. She saw nothing, until she heard the noise again. Then she looked higher. A man was lowering himself into the cavern with a rope from one of the higher tunnels. Carmelita stood motionless as he descended. Whoever he was, he was no greater threat than the man who had just ascended to the house.

*****
Arianna stumbled into the house, supported on one arm by the large slave she had rode in with. The pain in her head was back, from the quick ride, she assumed.

Bailey appeared in the hallway before them, an evil smile twisting his lips when his eyes fell on Arianna.

"There you are, my dear, you had me worried."

"I awoke in the orchard. What happened?"

His face twisted, from pure evil to bewilderment for a moment, before the nastily smug expression returned.

"Why, you were next to me in the carriage one moment and gone the next, my dear."

"You did not look for me when you noticed me missing, Sir?"

Anger clouded his vision. Apparently he did not like being questioned.

"I was not sure when you tumbled, my dear, but I sent my slaves after you as soon as I returned here."

That was obviously not true, Arianna thought, as the slaves would have been much closer to the cave entrance when they found her, had they been dispatched immediately. She did not comment further, however.

He stepped closer and pulled a leaf from her hair, "Perhaps you would like to freshen up before supper, my dear?"

"Yes, please."

"Then run along, child, I shall see you shortly."

Arianna allowed the slave to support her until she reached the stairs and gained a firm grip on the railing. She then smiled at the man, and thanked him for his assistance. He took the hint, bowing before her, moving to stand against the wall next to his mate. Arianna began to climb the stairs at a rather slow pace, as if the elevation of every next step might send her crashing to the floor. She finally made the landing of the second floor, and paused for a moment, the stillness easing the pounding in her temples to some degree. Why had she recovered somewhat in the cave, only to worsen now?

She pressed on slowly, feeling more sick to her stomach with every step she took. Finally, she made the landing of the third floor and leaned against the wall a moment, closing her eyes and pressing a hand to her heaving stomach. Behind her eyelids, white filtered into her vision and sweat broke out upon her brow. She felt terribly ill. She felt herself begin to shake and slumped down into a sitting position against the wall. If she was going to faint again, at least the fall would not be so far that she might injure herself.

A click, then a squeaking noise, met her ears just before her world went black.

*****

Alejandro exhaled a heavy breath when his feet finally connected with the cavern floor. His anxiety was causing his heart to race at what felt like ten times its average speed. Ten times… a fitting number considering he had dreamed of this moment for the past ten years, never truly sure that it would come to be. But even in his most horrifying dreams he had not guessed the situation this cruel. The woman he loved stood behind him, as silent as he was, yet he could not even turn to face her. Would she blame him for not finding her sooner? For allowing her and their son to live this way? She should; he blamed himself. How many times had he and Derek sailed within a hundred miles of this little island? It was not too far off of a few shipping routes they had traveled often.

He heard an intake of breath behind him and shook violently as he turned to face his wife. She stood, disheveled and shocked behind him. Their eyes locked across the thirty paces between them. Alejandro could not move, could not speak. Images of their short time together played in her eyes. He saw her standing on the balcony in a saucy blue gown, looking down at him on her father's tailored lawn. She had finally agreed to see him, just so that he would go away, she had added with a smile and a wink, before she had retreated back inside. He saw her standing amidst his mother's people, her hair loose, feet bare, and her belly swollen as she had repeated the old Romany vows. He saw her brow covered in sweat and her expression of pain as she had brought their son into the world. Her saw her tears of relief and joy, as his mother handed her their son for the very first time. He all but felt her in his arms as he had sat behind her, cradling her against him, as she fed their son with one breast and he fondled the other. She had lightly slapped his hand and laughingly told him that it 'twas not right while the child was feeding.

A smile broke his face as a tear fell from his sea weathered eye. "Carmelita."
He had avoided saying her name these last ten years because it broke his heart anew to hear it spoken aloud, but this time it did not shatter him, this time was different. This time his heart felt as if it floated on wings, ready to take flight and soar from his chest. He took a step forwards, almost afraid she would vanish if he stepped near. He had had visions of her before, but this time he had not been drinking. Or had he? His feet were moving faster now, almost of their own accord. He stopped just before her.

"My love, is it truly you?"

Tears fell from Carmelita's eyes as her head bounced up and down.

", Alejandro, mi amor, it's really me."

His hand hesitantly reached up to her face, gently touching the smooth skin of her cheek. Her hand flew over the top of his, pressing his hand firmly to her face, her tears wetting both of their skin. His other hand reached up and firmly took her other cheek in his grasp. He pulled her face closer and pressed his lips to her own. Her mouth opened under his and he melted in the delight of her taste.

"I love you."

They knew not who said it, perhaps it was both. All they knew was that they had found each other once again.