Chapter Thirty One

Arianna sat in the chair in Bell's cabin as he fashioned a pallet upon the floor. He looked up at her and met her stare.

"Why? Why did you save me?"

He looked back down at the bedding he had spread upon the floor before lifting his eyes back to hers.

"I have killed many men, lady. Pistols, my bare hands, the whip, swords, you name it, I have taken a life with it. But I have never enjoyed killing women."
She stared at him, knowing that there had to be more.

He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. A movement that reminded Arianna very much of Derek.

"Your situation reminds me of much of my sister. She was younger than I was. To keep a very long story short, my mother sold her when she was but six and ten. I suppose I just..." He sighed once more. "I guess I just wanted to help you like I wish I could have helped her."

Arianna nodded. She needed no further explanation, what he had volunteered had obviously been painful enough.

Thomas reached down and began to untie his boots. A moment of doubt overcame Arianna. Would he go back on his word now that he had her behind a locked door? The memory of him easily disarming her earlier flashed before her mind's eye and she inhaled deeply. Physically he could overpower her any time he wished.

Her distress must have been visible because, when Thomas looked up, he froze mid movement.

"I meant what I said. I will not make physical demands of you. Just please do your best to not make trouble for me."

Arianna nodded again, she had no desire to leave this cabin. A little company from time to time and things to occupy herself were honestly all she could ask for at this time, especially knowing what her other options were. Perhaps she may end up with another friend out of the deal if this man was the kind of man he seemed to be.

Thomas removed his boots and then set his pistol and blade next to the pallet. Visually checking that the cabin door was securely fastened, Thomas stretched out across the pallet and looked her way again.

"Take the bunk, get some sleep. The next few days will not be easy."

Arianna did as he bid. His confirmation of hostile trials to come rest heavily on her mind.

*****

"May I take your horse for you, your lordship?" A young male slave of European descent inquired of his owner in front of the manor house.

"Yes, Braden. See that the Brute is rubbed down and spoil him with oats. He was very well behaved today."

"Right away, my lord."

As the stable master led the horse away his lordship turned and surveyed his estate. It wasn't truly an estate. No, he had been forced to leave his estate in England. But the deed to this small island had fortunately come to him in a game of cards his last night in Liverpool.

Luckily, the slaves had come with the island. They had been very useful. It had taken a lot of hard labor to transform the tropical Caribbean island into the close replica of his English estate that it was today. In fact, it was as close a replica as could be achieved with the differences in climate and landscape. The manor house, and the maze behind it, were identical to the ones he had grown up in. The meadow, the stream, and the pond beyond the maze, were fairly similar as well. The pond even had the same statue of Aphrodite, rising from the calm depths, just in front of the small waterfall that fed the pond. Unfortunately, here in the Caribbean, the thick heavy mist would never roll in about Aphrodite's hips making it seem as if she were free to move about her beautiful prison.

More of the differences lie in the plant life, for the cool weathered plants that thrived in England only withered and died here under the hot Caribbean sun. Where climbing roses had thrived around his father's pond, hibiscus flowers lent fragrance, while tall queen palms shaded the glen.

His lordship sighed heavily and made his way inside the manor house that had only been completed the previous summer. It had taken the slaves a full year to clear the land, and another two, for the grounds to be complete. The house itself had taken four years to complete to his specifications. The hidden hallway had been a major set back as the slaves had not been able to understand the concept.

Now that the home was complete, the slaves either worked as servants, or tended to the five acres of orchard that sat on the north cliffs. The orchard and the cliffs beyond were another place, like the pond, that reminded him of home. The orchard provided enough fruits to supply the island, as well as bring in a small income, but it was not enough to see him in comfort, as well as fund his efforts. Every so often, when his coffers began to lighten, he still took to the sea to bring in extra wages.

He no longer necessarily pirated himself, but rather, collected a little more than his dues from the pirate crews he had funded into existence. They paid quite a hefty sum, but it would never be enough. If only he had been able to find the girl during any of his seven attempts. Or if only the king's men had not connected him to his crimes..

But it was of little importance now. For once his plans came to fruition there would be no more looking over his shoulder for the king's loyal men. Nay, once he gained Isla de Caballete, he could sit back and dare the king to cut ties with the major port, simply because he owned it.

"Your lordship, there is a missive awaiting you in your study." A dark-haired house slave from the Orient informed him, her hands folded before her, and her face downcast in a proper show of respect.

"Thank you." He turned and made his way up the stairs to the appointed room.

Passing through the door, the white envelope upon the desk bid him closer. He retrieved it from the desktop and broke the seal. He moved closer to the window and held the parchment in the sunlight that spilled into the darkened room:

The object you desire shall arrive within the month.

Miser.

This was good news. Good news indeed.

*****

Arianna awoke late in the morning and found herself alone in Thomas Bell's cabin. A pistol sat atop the nightstand with a folded parchment beside it. She stretched upon the bunk before reaching for the note and lifting it before her.

The pistol is primed and loaded, be careful. Should anyone attempt to open the door without knocking thrice upon it, send them to their maker.

It was not signed, but that did not stop Arianna from sending thanks heavenward for delivering her the man as her protector. It still baffled her that the man felt the way he did, but was able to lead the life he lived. At this point, however, Arianna loathed to look a gift horse too closely in the mouth.

Whatever his circumstances or beliefs, Thomas Bell was the only thing keeping her safe at the moment. Were he to perish, she would find herself stripped and tied to the Admiral's bed before she knew what had happened. Of that she had no doubt.

Arianna thought about how nice a walk about the deck would be, for her legs cramped with her lack of exercise. But she was in no way willing to test the Admiral's presence, or the other naval men, for that matter. So instead, she searched the cabin until she came across a leather bound novel. She took it to the window seat, and was content to escape from reality, with the warm sunshine upon her face.

*****

Derek watched as the ship was sighted six days into the voyage. He ordered his crew to trim the sails so that they remained just out of sight. It would not do to inform the Admiral of their presence so soon.

Alejandro turned from the helm to look askance at his captain. He had assumed that a battle on the high seas would be the path his captain would have chosen to gain his lady back. A quick shake of Derek's head dispatched that notion.

"Nay, Alejandro. I will not risk losing her, and we must catch the monster they are taking her to as well. We bide our time, my friend."

The Spaniard nodded but did not comment. His thoughts turned on another path and a woman that had once been his own. He wondered where she was, and if she was even alive, after these long ten years passed. He knew he would do everything in his power to ensure that his captain's lady did not befall a similar fate.